1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Pregnancy Question . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

. . . from a first-time father-to-be. A worrisome father-to-be.

The wife is 38 weeks pregnant. She had a midwife appointment today. She lost three pounds and "the baby hasn't grown much" since last week's appointment and now we have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow.

The midwife said "I'm just being very overly cautious, but it's better than waiting until next week's appointment and finding out you lost more weight and the baby hasn't grown."

Is it normal to lose weight this late in the pregnancy? Should I be worried? Can anyone put me at ease?

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Not saying that it is nothing, and this is hollow advice -- but don't sweat it until you see the ultrasound. Mrs. W's weight was all over the place in her last month.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

It could be a placenta issue.
    Toward the end, my wife's wasn't getting the job done, so they induced at 36 weeks.
    At 38 weeks, you should be fine.
    Maybe Doc Talk could give us a better educated answer?

4. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

What Webster said.

It sounds like the midwife is doing the right thing in sending your wife in for an ultrasound. And right now, your honey needs you to be calm, cool and collected because in her mind right now, she is probably a wreck.

5. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Rosie is always chalk on advice.

6. Pete Incaviglia

I'm worse.

What a fucking week. Three days off. The second day, my transmission goes. The third day, this news. Tomorrow, when I'm back at work, my wife will be having an ultrasound without me. Fuck.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Pete,

This is just one of the things that happens in some pregnancies and it doesn't mean complications. Really, truly. Your midwife did the right thing. Ultrasounds at this point are common at this point, becoming more common by the year.

Is anxiety causing your wife not to eat? I mean that, right there, might cause a weight drop.

38 weeks? You're fine. It's hard to be calm sometimes but hang in there.

8. pa writer

pa writer Member

Pete ... I'm in a similar situation, in that my wife began her 38th week yesterday. We've had all sorts of little things crop up that, being first-time parents, we freaked about. They've all ended up being nothing. Not to say this is, and I know what it's like to worry because this is such a new situation. But doctors just have to be overly cautious, and they have to keep you informed. I hope everything's fine for you guys, and I'm sure you'll be holding a healthy baby in no time.

9. I've said this on the board before, but they tend to be INCREDIBLY over-cautious. It's best that way. It might freak you out (it did the wife and I when we had a scare), but it's for the best because they want to check everything and do whatever they can to fix any problems.
    The vast majority of the time, it's nothing.
    I know this won't help much, but you really won't do any good worrying about it. When the ultrasound comes back fine (which it almost certainly will), you'll see what I mean.
    Good luck and I've already prayed for you, your wife, the baby and the medical personnel.

10. Pete Incaviglia

Thanks all.

The Mrs. Incaviglia just informed me of two things:
    1) She drank much, much less water last week and on the weekend, so it could be less water retention.
    2) She ate "healthier" all last week - i.e. no high-calorie sweets.

So she may have lost her own weight. And the baby still may have grown.

We're plugging along.

And again, thanks to all.

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

How does the midwife know the baby hasn't grown much without an ultrasound? I assume she's measuring your wife's uterus, which is typically done with a tape measure -- not real a real accurate read of the baby.

It's VERY normal to lose your appetite that late in pregnancy due to nerves and just feeling huge.

Is she keeping an eye on the baby's movement? Some doctors have you do kick counts to reassure yourself. A kick, flutter, jab, elbow, etc. all count as a movement. I pulled this off the internet:

I'd go ahead and complete the honey-do list. They might decide to induce. How exciting! I was induced, and I remember feeling very relieved when I finally checked into the hospital because they hook you up to a monitor that tracks the baby's heartbeat. I slept very well in the hospital that night listening to that monitor.

12. Pete Incaviglia

Luggy

Yes, the midwife measured with a tape measure. And I've said this before: Because with midwives, you see two or three of them in a pregnancy and they may measure differently.

Also, the midwife "felt the baby" and said it was of normal size.

Lastly, kicks aren't a concern. This thing is practising to be the long lost Gramatica brother (or sister).

Draft saved Draft deleted