1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Posnanski gem...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doubledown68, Dec 23, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

How can a supposedly good newspaper publish that kind of pure unadulterated shit?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Hey. DJ Tubby was just working his corners, showing off his pimp hand.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he could be so good. instead he's a self absorbed piece of shit, though. it's sad, because it's true.

5. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

OK. One page in with Joe's column.... I already know this is going to be outstanding. I'll follow up when I'm done.

6. tonysoprano

tonysoprano Member

All done. A few things...
    1.) Superb. Not my favorite Poz column, but definitely amazing.
    2.) It's encouraging for me as a writer to see this stuff cause it always reminds me to keep working hard, and helps give me a bar to shoot for
    3.) It's also another chink in the armor of those who believe you can't write long pieces anymore in newspapers.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I've been reading Poz since he got to KC, and I'll still take him over anyone else in the biz 9 times out of 10.
    Guy's fantastic.

Now, if you're looking for some humor, read the comments on both he and Whitlock's columns (the two posted here).

8. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i thought whitlock's piece was funny. if you're in that town or follow sports in that town, it's a nice piece. if you just come in and pick and choose and don't follow the sports scene in kc, i can see where it would seem like crap. but, for his readers, whitlock sets the tone -- for his local readers, the people who get the newspaper -- not the people who read him on the internet and like to complain about him for whatever reason

9. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

If I were a KC reader, Whitlock's unbelievably huge ego, which comes through again in this piece, would have turned me off long ago. He's just not as good as he thinks he is.

And I know I'm in the minority on this one, but Posnanski's piece, while well-done, is just another story of an athlete who befriends a sick kid. Been done many, many times, and I see nothing in this variation that makes it so noteworthy.

10. ECrawford

ECrawford Member

Posnanski is the best in the business right now. Top of the game. And I appreciate that he's doing it for a newspaper, and I can't tell you how much I respect the K.C. Star for giving him the freedom to do what he does best.

11. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

and, well, that gonzalez piece wasn't his best of the week

check this one out:
    http://www.kansascity.com/180/story/417773.html

seriously, it makes me fuckin' sick. dude is so good

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

The Red Klotz story has been told many times over...right down to the red sweater on the beach in August.

Draft saved Draft deleted