1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another plea for prayers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

My prayers are with you and yours, obviously. Either your family is evidence of a unknown tendency for this disease, or it's the most fucked-up coincidence I've seen.

And FWIW, I thought old_tony was making the designation about Debbie because she was the person whose diagnosis led to the original post. Singling her out for emphasis because she is the most recently afflicted. I didn't read an intentional harm in it (though admittedly, I had to read the original post twice to figure out what the hullabaloo was about re: tony's comment).

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

SC:

My prayers go out to you and your family.

Like Fenian said, check with the Lupus foundation and other organizations. The more you know, the more you can think about this rationally and hopefully, freak you out less.

We're here for you.

3. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I think your family is cool. Lots more people to love and be loved by.

Of course, I may need a chart to keep everyone in order... ;)

4. HC

HC Well-Known Member

SC ... you know I'm with you. Love to you and yours.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

SC, obviously we're all thinking about you and your loved ones. Our best to all.

6. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I assumed she meant business partner. sportschick has a step-mother. last I knew, that means the step-mother is married to sportschick's father. Now if they're divorced and her step-mother has taken a different direction in her life, so be it, but the way I read "partner" was based on "step-mother" being married to her biological partner.

I offered my prayers to everyone involved. If you want to make me out to be a bad guy for that, I suppose that's more a reflection on you than me.

7. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

That is very terrible to hear.
    I am sure you don't respect me that much but maybe you will give it a shot. http://www.mercola.com/index.htm
    I will pray for you and your family. God Keep and God Bless.

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Because I'm drunk and because I actually kinda like O_T despite not agreeing with him, here's the rundown on my family:
    My biological father and my stepmother were married for 23 years. I very much consider her a part of my family and her partner as well. I'm much closer to her than my biological father, who's a bit of an ass (he did leave my mother and I when I was 9 months old). As far as I'm concerned, Debbie's part of the weird-ass fucked up group of people I consider my family.

And Tony, I didn't take it in a negative way. I just figured that you didn't get the weird-ass family dynamic I have going on.

9. GimpyScribe

GimpyScribe Member

Hang in there, SC. It's obvious you have lots of friends here who care and are sending positive thoughts your way. I also believe strong in the power of positive attitude.
    About 7 years ago, my grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer, which, because it had went undiagnosed so long (he's very stubborn) had spread to his bones. The doctors said it was too far along for chemo and, instead, recommended he do the injection treatment. I think we all expected him to wake up dead in a few weeks, after the diagnosis.
    He didn't. He stayed active, continuing to do the things he loved. He also never let the diagnosis get him down, and vowed that it wouldn't beat him.
    A few weeks ago, he underwent a bone scan and the doctor was amazed to see that it looked clear as day. Obviously, my grandfather is doing well and, while he's slowed down a lot, it's more due to natural aging (he's 78) than the cancer.

So, please, stay positive around your family. They're gonna need your strength. And, I agree with everyone else. Make sure you explore all avenues to learn all you can about this disease. Knowledge is power.
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Draft saved Draft deleted