1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another plea for prayers

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Sep 23, 2006.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My stepmother's partner, Debbie, was diagnosed Wednesday with schleroderma, a very rare and very nasty auto-immune disorder where your connective tissues turn against you. My mother and my aunt also suffer from the disease. My grandmother died of it and my sister has tested positive for the rh factors that could signal schleroderma or some other auto-immune disorder in the same family (lupus, rheumatoid arthritis). My mother, my aunt, Debbie and possibly my sister will all die of this disease.

I'm a bit freaked out about all this. I feel like the disease, which isn't supposed to run in families (an obvious falacy), is stalking me and the women I love.

I really just needed to unload, as I'm extremely upset about all of this. Thanks for listening, reading, whatever you want to call it.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'll keep her in my thoughts.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

My prayers go out to you and your family and, of course, Debbie.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good luck SC. I hope everything turns out OK.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Umm, Debbie's a part of the family, too, but knowing your bent, I'm sure that was a mere oversight.

6. S'chick:
    Obviously, we're praying and you're in our thoughts.
    How does this differ from lupus? Sounds like almost the same thing. And, from what I know about genetic disease, which is more than a little since we have a whopper in the FB gene pool, autoimmune disorders can be linked to what are called "susceptibility factors." Namely that something in the genetics makes people more vulnerable to the causes of the disease.
    Lupus Foundation locally might be a good place to start to look for answers.
    And congrats to old tony, idiot troll, for what is perhaps the single most despicable one-line post in SportsJournalists.com history.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Prayers for everyone involved.

Here's hoping that women's medical care can receive the attention and research it needs to keep future women from suffering.

8. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

All involved have my prayers.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Hail Mary, full of grace, blessed art thou among women and the fruit of thy womb, Jesus.
    Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death.
    Amen.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

you know how i feel, chick.

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Good luck, SC.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

According to my mother (the font of all wisdom in my life), they can treat lupus. Scleroderma (cq I spelled it wrong last night) doesn't have any treatments. They are similar, but lupus gets most of the treatment funding because it is a much more common disease.

EDIT: And I don't think we need to jump all over Old_Tony. Not everyone gets non-traditional families. I've been informed by perfectly lovely people that by brothers and sisters aren't really my brothers and sisters because they're all half-siblings. Non-traditional families and their dynamics confuse people sometimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted