1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another overtime lawsuit: Ex-Montgomery Advertiser SE sues Gannett

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Baron Scicluna, Feb 16, 2010.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Thank God he filed in federal court. Even in the unlikely event he won in Alabama state court, they money he'd get would leave him envying the USFL.

2. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

17. Ms. Browder said "la la la I can't hear you" while covering her ears.

3. Montgomery must be run by some really dumb-ass suits. Picking on the SE was stupid. They'd have been smarter to pick the staffer with the most OT, phonying up an evaluation about his work slipping, and showing him the door as an example to the others. Then watch how quickly the rest of the staff loses those OT records.

The suits should have known the SE would have documented everything. And with the SE taking up for his staff, being fired makes his argument. Gannett is going to end up cutting a big check on this to make it go away.

But in the deposition, it should be amusing when the HR rep is asked, "Would you please demonstrate how you covered your ears?"

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Why in the world do we in this business persist in pretending that we work regular, 40-hour weeks like most people? Why? We work 60-70 hours of week in-season, then far less out of season. Every beat person does this. It all evens out, right?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Nope, it doesn't all even out.

Do the math. Let's assume you get two weeks vacation and another week is for sick time, personal time, etc. Work a 60-hour week for 34 weeks (let's say, for high school season), that's 2,040 hours. Work a 20-hour week for 15 weeks is 300 hours. Total is 2,340 hours.

Average of 40 hours a week for those 49 weeks is 1,960 hours. Let's say you're getting paid $10 an hour.

So that's 380 hours of time and a half. At $15 per hour, that's $5,700 per year out of your pocket. I'm sure you'd rather have that then the billion-dollar company.

6. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

My best to the Montgomery guys, as well as the gals, I know a few of the former.

I'm taking notes.

Best of luck, Mr. Johnson.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Brett McMurphy and LC Johnson are two of my journalism heroes right now.

I hope they both kick ass and take names.

Hell, I'd probably root for Bin Laden if he was against Media General and Gannett.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

And how about when you get forced to take furlough days during that "down period." Most sports writers I know could handle long hours and low pay. It's when you don't even get the low pay you are owed that pushes people over the edge.

9. wheels89

wheels89 Active Member

And also in the process for beat guys we want you to blog, tweet, do video and shoot your own video. And in the process we don't have enough staffing to give you a reliable backup writer and we're the travel budget to the bone.
    And can you do enterprise while you're at it?

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

I wish I was furloughed. Then I could have had a real week off for once.
    I hope this guy wins his suit!! This business is a sweat shop.

Draft saved Draft deleted