1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another opening in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Feb 13, 2006.

1. Sounds like my kind of town.

2. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Shoot, why would Tucker leave his current job? He'd be nuts. He goes to ACC games five nights a week (sometimes two games in one day) and rarely goes to prep games. He just writes from the scorebook. All for a paper that comes out twice a week. Talk about the life!

3. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Did I ever tell you about the time Tucker took me out to go get a drink with him? We go off looking for a bar and we can't find one. Finally Tucker takes me to a vacant lot and says, "Here we are." We sat there for a year and a half and sure enough someone constructs a bar around us. The day they opened we ordered a shot, drank it, and then burned the place to the ground. Tucker yelled out over the roar of the flames, "Always leave things the way you found em."

To Tucker McLaughin!

4. Keystone

Keystone Member

Another Tucker story:

My wife is a good friend of Tucker's sister-in-law. Back in her single days, she's invited to the friend's Christmas party. Tucker shows up, takes an entire cheese tray, sits in the middle of the living room floor and consumes every little bit of it. :p

But there's nothing like seeing Tucker getting mobbed by the Cameron Crazies at a Duke game. He's a fixture there, just like the Crazy Towel Guy. ;D

Now, going back to the topic at hand. I've commented each time this paper has had an opening, so I'll just sum it up: Good place to go.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yep, he was at the UNC-Georgia Tech game tonight. I find it strange that a paper publishing twice a week would be more interested in covering ACC instead of preps. Does anybody know why they take that approach?

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Well he's only got one high school in his coverage area so he can get to both most of the time. He says it's what his readers want and it's want he wants for sure. I give Tucker shit all the time (and he gives it back), but he's a great guy.

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

To know Tuck is to give him shit, but you'd be hard-pressed to find a nicer guy. Is it unorthodox to cover the ACC while repping a 4,000-circ. twice-weekly in a town that nobody would have ever heard of were it not for the Burton brothers? Mos def, but more power to him. If the people want to read ACC coverage (and South Boston doesn't really have a daily paper to call its own -- they're fringe at best for Danville), and nobody at the home office is reigning him in (like that's possible), then good for him, dawg. Too bad their primo dining option is a Sheetz.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Doesn't his family own that paper? Besides, from what I've read of the two SoBo papers, the Gazette-Virginian has the preps scene more than covered (all the way down to the JV tiddilywinks team). Get one for the preps and the other for ACC coverage I guess.

9. Tarheel316

Mystery Meat, you can get a good smoothie shake at any Sheetz.lol I'm not knocking Tucker for what he does. It's just unusual. I was once the SE of a tri-weekly (Thomasville) and wasn't allowed to go anywhere. But at least I got to cover one of the state's top prep athletic programs.

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

FWIW, that was awesome.

And I've never met the dude, nor do I get the jokes.

To Brasky!

11. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

If Tucker's family didn't run the paper, I don't think he'd be going to all that he does.

12. Tarheel316

I believe that explains it.

Draft saved Draft deleted