1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another opening in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Feb 13, 2006.

1. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Position: Sports writer/copy editor/page designer
    Property: Danville Register & Bee
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $20,000 to $25,000

Are you well-rounded? We might have the perfect job for you. The Register & Bee is looking for candidates who can demonstrate a high energy level and good organizational skills in order to juggle page design and daily and longer-term writing projects.

We are a Media General newspaper located in south central Virginia, on the border of North Carolina. The area is central to Greensboro, N.C., Raleigh, N.C., Roanoke, Va., and Richmond, Va. The Danville Register & Bee is a daily newspaper with an average daily circulation of 21,500 and 24,000 on Sundays.

The person who joins our team will have the opportunity to display and further develop their writing and page design skills. We primarily cover five high schools that regularly compete for state football, basketball and baseball titles; three auto racing tracks that host NASCAR and road racing events; college football, basketball and baseball at a Division 3 university; a minor league baseball team; and some Atlantic Coast Conference football and basketball games and the ACC basketball tournament.

The person will share page design duties with the rest of the sports staff, which will likely consist of 1-2 nights each week of copy editing and page design, including section fronts, as well as beat coverage and general assignments, including events, breaking sports news and enterprise stories. This job is more of an entry level position and perfect for recent graduates or journalists with several years of experience.

Contact Drew Wilson, sports editor, by e-mail at cwilson@registerbee.com. Mail cover letter, resume and writing and page design samples to Drew Wilson, sports editor, P.O. Box 331, Danville, VA 24543.

2. boots

boots New Member

Drew, before this gets out of hand. Can you explain what's going on? What happened to the other opening?

3. With the amount of pay you have mentioned, what's the cost of living like there? How expensive or inexpensive is housing, particular for somebody with a family?

4. New to rivals

New to rivals New Member

Since I didn't really try to hide my identity on the Rivals thread...

I'm the one leaving this time and I would recommend anyone graduating or ready to move up from a 10,000 circ. to send in your clips now. This is a great place to work, especially after some changes that occurred in the last year or two. Drew's solid, especially for a young guy. The ME appreciates the sports section and the publisher appreciates the employees.

But most importantly, this job is open a lot because people move up. I think there are now four or five recent alums covering BCS-conference schools pretty much full time. A couple of more became sports editors (including Drew) and another guy is designer in Durham. The R&B covers as many ACC games as it can, which is usually quite a few. Nextel Cup comes to nearby Martinsville Speedway, Hargrave Military Academy cranks out dozens of D-I football and basketball players every year and there is a minor league baseball team in town. Not many papers this size have all that and you can build a pretty good clips package and do a lot of networking because of it.

5. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Boots, the last opening was filled less than a week ago.

This is a completely different opening. Shane Mettlen is making the move to bigger and better things.

Method, cost of living is very reasonable in Danville. I know from recently taking candidates around to prospective apartment complexes, one place had a three-bedroom apartment for less than $500 a month (if I remember correctly). This time a year, one-bedroom apartments are sometimes hard to find, but not impossible. Houses are available everywhere, so if you have a family and want to go that route, it isn't bad at all.

6. jdiddy

jdiddy Guest

If we sent our stuff in for the previous job, do we need to send in our clips and things again or will you go through those resumes and clips again?

7. I've been working in Va. for two years now and have no clue where Danville is. Yes, I it's centrally located to Greensboro, N.C., and a couple of other places, but my travels, I guess haven't taken me there.

Carry on.

8. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

If you sent something in for the last opening not too long ago, I still have them on file. I keep them for cases like this. For anyone who sent clips in for that opening, just drop me an e-mail to say that you're still interested and I'll pull your stuff. I know some of the people that applied last time might have found jobs by then.

9. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

And only 15 minutes from Tahoe ;)

10. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Drew,
    As a guy you spoke with about the previous opening (I'll let you guess), I'd be interested to know who filled the first one?

And good luck with this one.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Clearly the proper move is to hire Tucker McLaughlin. He'd boost the section to new heights, dawg.

12. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Actually, he's going to take the job and continue on at South Boston. Why?

To take being the Hardest Working Man in the ACC to an entirely new level.

Draft saved Draft deleted