1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

This is NOT one of the one's I was talking about earlier. Via The Pipeline, a memo our friends in Charlotte got:

"The Worldwide Leader has struck again.
    Pat Yasinskas, who has covered the Carolina Panthers for The Observer since 1999, is leaving for a job with ESPN.com. He'll cover the NFC South, including the Panthers. He is moving to Tampa for family reasons, even though he says he loves Charlotte."

2. Damaramu

Damaramu Member

So will these jobs at ESPN, Yahoo, Rivals, SI, etc. be all dried up and filled by the time someone that just graduated college gets the necessary experience to get them?

Then again I also have to have the necessary talent.......

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell, just be glad the web behemoths haven't put all the newspapers out of business yet.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Whoa. There's a bomb drop.

Well ... Pat certainly knows the NFC South, his coverage of the Panthers preceding the latest NFL realignment. Best of everything to Pat, who has had his finger on the pulse in Charlotte for a while.

I wonder if Stan Olson is simply moved up to the lead writer, and who becomes the backup. Is Charles Chandler still with the Observer?

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

pat's a good man and used to work in tampa. good for him... 8) 8) 8)

7. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Pat's a great guy and this is a loss, for sure, for Charlotte. ...

As for replacing him, I don't think Charlotte will have to far ... to be totally reckless, I don't think they'll have to look outside the company family or the metro area for his replacement.

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your impending promotion.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

You're hired in five years!

In my opinion, I doubt many of these places are filling from outside. They will shake things up within the paper to not create an opening.

I could be wrong.

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

there will always be turnover in any industry. people retire, die, go to law school, go into PR, go from espn to si and back again. new media outlets will come and go. the jobs will still be there to the extent that they're there today - few and far between but there.

the other thing about these jobs is that unlike with a newspaper, a web site has an infinite amount of space. theoretically if espn desperately wants you in five years and someone else is already covering the nfc south, they can still hire you.

who knows, maybe espn, si.com and yahoo will eventually hire beat writers for every team in every league.

11. FreddiePatek

Charlotte and Rock Hill are owned by McClatchy and they've been doubling up on Panthers coverage. It's just a guess, but I'd think the overseers would say this is a golden opportunity to consolidate. The State backed off full-time Panthers coverage two years ago and I think the McClatchy papers north of Charlotte are scaling back as well.

12. FreddiePatek

BTW ... McClatchy stock price = yummy

Draft saved Draft deleted