1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN - Running thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Re: Another one to ESPN

Standup guy? What does that mean? He won't rat out fellow reporters who accept team logo shirts and bags?

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

That's exactly what I mean.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He's gonna be really valuable at ESPN.com then.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wow that really changes the landscape of college basketball coverage. Bennet is the go to guy for Big East information . Amazing hire for ESPN.

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I assume ESPN targets specific writers for positions like this, correct? I just can't imagine any job of the sort being posted somewhere. If so, I'd be interested to learn how it works. They find their guy, then say "Name your price?"

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I dunno, Boom. Waiting on a scouting report on him mopping abilities.

And can he spread that red stuff on vomited-stained hallways? Stay tuned!

7. Re: Another one to ESPN

The guy who got kicked out of a college press box for blogging is now an ESPN college sports blogger. Love it. Maybe the stuffed shirts from Indy will think twice next time.

8. 35in44

35in44 Member

Yeah, but Bennett can't win a race at Churchill for crap.

9. Re: Another one to ESPN

Essentially, they hired the writers who'd been covering the conferences the last few years. No huge national search. They went with what they knew and felt comfortable.

All these folks are on contract basis. No benefits, no 401K, $80-90K per annum, but still contract. God bless them.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

You're not saying that's a bad thing, are you? These are three-year contracts at least, as I understand it, which is decent job security these days. The no benefits thing is no problem if you're married with a spouse who can cover you, or even if you're single you should be able to get health coverage at a reasonable rate.

For most of the people ESPN has hired, I can't imagine those parameters aren't a solid improvement from what they had at newspapers.

11. Re: Another one to ESPN

I'm just suggesting that even these plumb jobs come with downsides, especially the no benefits part.

Also, what if you're married, have a couple of kids and your wife doesn't work? Try pricing that benefit package sometime.

All I'm saying is that even the good deals aren't as great as they appear.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If you don't have benefits in the family somehow, it wouldn't be worth taking it. One major illness wipes it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted