1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN - Running thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Another one to ESPN

Don't be mistaken, a lot of the people at ESPN flaunt the money. Not all, but some do...

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know if this has been asked before, but are ESPN's print, digital and radio operations subsidized by their TV money or are they turning a profit on their own?

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm under the impression that it's on their own.

4. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

I'm guessing Graham wasn't eligible to take the buyout at The Post, so did he just take this for the opportunity? It's pretty good timing with the situation in South Florida. I wonder whether Palm Beach will stick with just one Dolphins writer now or whether they'll now be looking for a new No. 2.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

Might be hard to figure. ESPN sells a lot of bundled advertising -- you're not just buying TV, you're buying the magazine, the website, etc., in one of any number of packages.

6. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

It is interesting when you think about it that forever papers haven't been able to own the TV station and radio station, etc., in their market, yet media conglomerates can be successful by cornering the NATIONAL market (which it's safe to say ESPN has in many ways), and there aren't any rules against it. I guess my point is it's getting to the point where a company will need to own each media in a market to be successful because of the ability to bundle/consolidate, etc.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

And another one:

All,

I'm very pleased to announce that Gabrielle Paese, an award-winning journalist who spent the past 15 years shaping the sports coverage of The San Juan Star, will join ESPN.com next week as the Deputy Editor for ESPNRISE.com. Gabrielle is the former Assistant Managing Editor for Sports at The Star, a Pulitzer-winning English daily newspaper in Puerto Rico, where she worked for the past 20 years covering everything from Carlos Delgado's first at-bats to the 1992 Olympic debut of the Dream Team in Barcelona.

In addition to handicapping horse racing to documenting the careers of boxers such as three-time champ Felix "Tito" Trinidad and WBA welterweight champ Miguel Cotto, Gabrielle has covered two Olympic Games, three Pan Am Games and two decades worth of Central American-Caribbean Games. A Pennsylvania native and University of Pittsburgh graduate, Gabrielle brings a passion for storytelling, a proven record of leadership, a strong commitment to prep sports and a resume that boasts of wide-ranging experience -- it includes bilingual roles as a TV analyst, feature writer, business reporter, copy editor, assistant sports editor and deputy sports editor in San Juan, as well as a pair of Overseas Press Club awards for investigative journalism.

Gabrielle starts July 21, and will guide the daily editorial efforts for our new digital high school sports section. I know you will all join me in offering her a warm welcome.

Thanks,

Patrick Stiegman
    VP and Executive Editor
    ESPN.com

8. kaisersoze

kaisersoze New Member

From the WWL

With the launch of the Football Blog Network, ESPN has hired 14 leading reporters and columnists from news organizations across the country to author the individual blogs (one position, blogging about the Big East, remains to be filled). Collectively, the group boasts more than 125 years of writing and reporting experience, though each brings a distinct style and voice to their blog and specific region of focus. Each blogger will provide fans both with a filter for significant developments regarding their favorite teams and expert journalistic insight and access.

College Football
    ACC – Heather Dinich – formerly of Baltimore Sun;
    PAC 10 – Ted Miller – formerly of Seattle Post-Intelligencer;
    Big 12 – Tim Griffin – formerly of San Antonio Express-News;
    Big Ten – Adam Rittenberg – formerly of Chicago Daily Herald;
    SEC – Chris Low – formerly of The Tennessean and Rivals.com;
    Big East – TBD;
    Independents/additional conferences - Graham Watson – formerly of St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Professional Football
    NFC East – Matt Mosley – formerly of Dallas Morning News (previously authored Hashmarks blog on ESPN.com);
    NFC West – Mike Sando – formerly of Tacoma News Tribune;
    NFC North – Kevin Seifert – formerly of Minneapolis Star-Tribune;
    NFC South – Pat Yasinkas – formerly of Charlotte Observer;
    AFC West – Bill Williamson – formerly of Denver Post;
    AFC North – James Walker – formerly of Columbus Dispatch;
    AFC South – Paul Kuharsky – formerly of The Tennessean;
    AFC East – Tim Graham – formerly of Palm Beach Post.

9. Andy _ Kent

Andy _ Kent Member

This is the first I've heard os ESPNRISE.com, their new digital high school sports section. Anyone have any idea how that site is going to work?

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

So it's a good thing to have lots of experience as a group, even though 125 years spread among 14 people is an average just 8.93 years each. That's not persuasively impressive for people at the pinnacle of their profession. Those folks might be dynamite, but the memo should spare us the math.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

once again joe, you rule. i love it when you show up around these parts.

12. henryhenry

henryhenry Member

impossible to follow the nfl without reading espn bloggers.

Draft saved Draft deleted