1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN - Running thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: Another one to ESPN

I agree that at some point ESPN is going to figure out they're spending over a $1 million a year for eight guys to blog and write occassionally on the NFL and they'll have to trim some fat.

Some of the hires (Seifert, Williamson, Yasinkas (sp?) and Sando) were tremendous hires. I'm sure there is one or two I'm forgetting.

The latest hires are good writers, but not on the same level as the aforementioned guys.

2. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

If ESPN does decide at some point that it is spending too much for eight bloggers --- I'm not saying that is the case --- the writers can easily be redeployed, especially the better ones.

Wasn't Graham one of two Dolphins beat writers at the PB Post? Let's hope the remaining beat writer is a stud (or studette).

3. Mizzougrad96

Edgar Thompson is very good.

4. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

My boss just left for ESPN and he said he couldn't believe the money-is-no-object attitude they had during meetings. Basically they were determined to spend "whatever it takes" to do things the way they wanted. Amazing.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

When you're paying $1.1 billion a year for the rights, $1 million on writers doesn't really seem that much.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Got an e-mail today saying that ESPN's new network of NFL and college football bloggers was 14 strong ... only major conference left unfilled is Big East, which is TBA ...

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm guessing those jobs are going to be so insanely easy it's disgusting.

8. Robert Zizzo

Robert Zizzo New Member

ESPN made a great hire in Tim Graham. His talent, style and personality will make it a must-read.
    Congrats, Tim!

9. Mizzougrad96

Who are the six college guys?

10. da el g

da el g Member

guys and girls:

Graham Watson, Chris Low, Adam Rittenberg, Ted Griffin, Ted Miller and Heather Dinich

11. Mizzougrad96

Never heard of Griffin. I don't know much about Rittenberg either. He looks like he's 14 in his ESPN mug.

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The people I know there also have similar attitudes. They're not flaunting the money. They're using it to do whatever they need or want to make the TV-Web-Radio-Everything what they believe it should be.

Good for them.

Draft saved Draft deleted