1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one to ESPN - Running thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Re: Another one to ESPN

Congratulations, Tim.

Great guy.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

This will happen at ESPN when/if Disney stock tanks

3. Re: Another one to ESPN

Yes, he was one of many to take the buyout in 2006, leading a general exodus from Dallas to Bristol. Graham Watson was also at Dallas before St. Louis.

4. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

That will be the deciding factor, I'd guess, since the two are becoming more intertwined by the day.

I know this came out this spring...Disney's Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando is going to be renamed or rebranded or some other such nonsense with ESPN goodness. I was there two weeks ago and about 80 percent of the Complex' gift shop was ESPN paraphernalia.

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

That's probably not happening at ESPN, considering the Bristol Beast is responsible for a good chunk (at one time, about 60%) of Disney's earnings.

If Disney stock tanks -- and it's trading in a narrow $9 spread between it's 52-week high and low -- the WWL most likely won't be taking the meat of the cuts, given its cash-cow status in the House of Mouse.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But getting rid of DJ Stewy would improve the product on so many levels...

7. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

These writers (and editors) are on three-year contracts, so they won't be lopped off any time soon. At least for three years. :)

8. lono

lono Active Member

Yeah, there have hundreds of people laid off at newspapers in the last few weeks. Let's shit on the people who landed new jobs.

Nice work. Proud of yourself?

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Dude, you need a hug or something.

My God, who peed in your cheerios?

I wasn't shitting on anyone. I was simply stating that in this profession, we've seen far too many organizations hire and hire and hire -- only to start laying off and trimming staff at the first sign of trouble.

I hope I am wrong, dead wrong on this one, but given the state of this business, I think it is odd that this is about the only entity that is actually adding jobs and it is adding them at a very high rate. That was my only reason for commenting.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

While I very much doubt it will happen anywhere at ESPN, as others have pointed out its stability already, the very last place they will take away from is their NFL coverage.

You only have to look at their programming schedule to see that NFL Live is on at minumum five days a week, 52 weeks a year. I would hazard a guess that as the pre-season goes on, some, if not all, of the division writers appear, in addition to their use on shows such as First Take, the new morning and lunchtime SportsCenters, NFL and Monday Night Countdown.

I don't think these guys have much to worry about at all right now.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

another lie.

12. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

ESPN probably smells blood in the water.

If ever there was a time when it could overtake and dominate any and all competition if it tried, this would be it.

Draft saved Draft deleted