1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ANOTHER ONE to ESPN - and ANOTHER one updated 10/27

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Time for a poll, right?

2. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

I just burned my popcorn.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, well, don't make me feel bad about dropping a hint and don't turn this into a guess fest. Seriously. The Pipeline has a good rep. It doesn't toss out bullshit.
    When it is CONFIRMED, I will post. When I find out it isn't happening, if that turns out to be the case, I will post (but without names unless the person involved fesses up).
    Just hold on to your cords here. Do not turn this into a guess fest.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Frankly, I like it better this way Moddy. Much more interesting with no names floating around. Plus, when/if the name is announced I'll get a chance to whack my forehead and think "Geez, why didn't I think of that guy!?!"

5. Moderator1

See? I'm doing you a service.
    The internal guessfests are just fine.

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

One of the SEs in question had already worked online. Was his going to back to newspapers a rejection of online? Probably not. Then why is going online now automatically perceived as a rejection of newspapers? Sometimes a job is job, not a personal statement about an entire industry.

Online sites have to hire from somewhere. In their infancy radio and TV raided newspapers, too. My opinion is that when newspapers decide that the written word is kind of archaic whether it's on newsprint or a computer screen, they'll be raiding local TV for hot-looking talent to do streaming news broadcasts, not sticking geeky-looking print journalists in front of cameras. That's the depressing future of the Web as I see it.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

If this involves me being fired, I'd really rather you fellas just came out and told me.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Not up for a PEP talk, jgmacg?

9. Moderator1

See me before you leave.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Maybe you and HR can sit down and work out some apologies.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Can't agree, Frank. I mean, the technology might go to crazy lengths like people listening to the written word, or whatever -- who could have predicted where we are now 20 years ago -- but people still like to read stuff online, and they still like to get into message boards and type opinions and interact and trash talk.

I point to text messaging; they might spell it funny, but even the most tech savvy kids are still communicating with the written word in one form or another.

I think there will remain a major place in media for it certainly as long as I'm in the business, and maybe far beyond. How people access it will change -- it's changing now with mobile -- but they'll still read words.

12. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Pep!

Positions eliminated today:

- leaning on doorjamb

- pensive, rocking slowly on balls of feet

- stretched out on sofa in sweat pants and hockey jersey

Please report to HR. Thank you

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.