1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ANOTHER ONE to ESPN - and ANOTHER one updated 10/27

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Just from what I've seen and heard, the next six months is going to make heads spin, both online and in print. As someone who revels in watching chaos, I'm buying popcorn.

2. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Question:

Over the past decade, ESPN.com has become more and more localized with its hiring. Will there ever come a day when the network employs its own beat writers for each of the major sports? Will the L.A. Times' Angels beat writer one day be competing against the ESPN.com beat writer?

On one hand, I doubt it. On the other, I never thought they'd be hiring as much staff as they are now.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Buy it in bulk.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Is ESPN going to become a Sports AP and sell access to their stuff to local papers?

5. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The National had a similar team of writers, I think . It had a national network of writers stationed in each major city, though I don't remember if they had one for each major sport. It was amazing to be in the Midwest and read insider stuff from LA. Loved that stuff.

I wondered if one of the big dot-coms would give this a shot, given that we can hit up all the paper sites we want now.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They had reporters in each city where they had an edition. By the time they folded, they were up to 12 editions, maybe 15. Nowhere near covering every major-league team.

7. A guy I know who talked with ESPN.com said the plan is to have a writer/blogger for every major football conference in college and every division in the NFL. So yeah, it seems like they're trying to be more local.

8. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

T.J. will do a fine job for the worldwide leader. A great hire.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

When you say chaos, are you talking upward progression from the local ranks, a major slicing of jobs or both?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The National also went bankrupt in 18 months... It was an incredible section, but not exactly the business model that anyone wants to follow...

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

Apples and oranges, Missou.
    The National's problem was production and distribution. ESPN has no such problem plus it has the benefit of cross-promotion and Disney money.

12. senior_editor

senior_editor Member

Couldn't agree more with spnited. As a part of the operation at The National, I sure wish we had access to that amount $$.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.