1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one bites the dust

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Oct 6, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

That's what a farewell column is supposed to look like.

2. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

Someone please email this to our parent company, who continues to strip away any semblance of our shop being a real newspaper anymore:

They're why, even in this age of a rapidly fractionalizing media market, a good local newspaper, and the jobs of local newspaper writers, still can - and should - matter tremendously in creating a sense of community.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Agreed...

4. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Outstanding farewell column, and kudos to whomever took the time to link to all of those past columns. Newspapers need to do more linking to past stories.

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Well goddamn .... Carty is one of the real good dudes in this biz. He's helped me in a lot of ways and I wish him the best of luck down the road.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Carty and I hooked horns here early and we wound up getting along rather well.
    Good luck Jim... and you still owe me a beer at FP...

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

So where is he going? Anybody know? Based on his mugshot, he's too young to be retiring ...

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Sounded like law school...

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Footnote said Toledo Law.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Thanks. Missed that. Just as most readers skip the byline, I usually skip the tagline unless I'm intent on contacting the writer ...

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And he gave props (and links) to other reporters' stories. Very class act.

Draft saved Draft deleted