1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another one bites the dust: Paper shuts down

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Flash, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Folks in that area ... nay, all over the province ... are more loyal to the Chronicle-Herald (circ 110,000), which has been around for more than 100 years, in comparison to the Daily News' 40 or so.

They're also heavily pro-union and the News was owned for a time by Conrad Black.

Just some background as to why the Daily News may never have taken off ... doesn't by any stretch justify what happened this morning.

And good God, I hate these fucking metros. There may be people out there that like the bare-minimum-thank-you-very-much stories but I prefer the detail. They just don't suit the way I like to read a news story. And the columnists they've hired up here ... well, they're the biggest fans of the shit-sticking-to-the-wall theory.

2. <<"It was an extremely tough business decision. ... (But) in this context, we are delighted to continue our presence as a daily newspaper publisher in the Halifax market.">>

Hey, gotta love a guy who can lay off just short of a hundred people and can still say he's "delighted'. f'in idiot

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and we wonder why these fucks who are buying up newspapers are bringing the business to its knees.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

What labor protections do these workers have in Canada? I'd imagine they are enhanced vs. the protections one would get here in a similar circumstance.

5. Flash

Flash Guest

None ... other than qualifying for employment insurance.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Not surprised that the Transcontinental did things in this manner. Since day one of them taking over the Daily News, they have treated staffers there like shit.

I know many people that lost their jobs there. I am close with everyone in the sports department there and they are the nicest guys you will ever meet.

My publishing boss does a column twice weekly for them and found out by radio too.

Daily News was struggling to get subscribers to their paper. A lot of people here knew it was a matter of time before the paper would fold in some way.

I just can't believe how they told their staffers.

First Global Maritimes, now Daily News. One thing to learn from this:
    There is no place for a journalism career in the Maritimes, especially Halifax.

7. Canuck Pappy

Canuck Pappy Member

I haven't read this paper for many moons, but its sports section was very strong. Especially compared to the paper across town.

8. DEB

DEB Member

I hated that paper. Glad it's gone.

9. Flash

Flash Guest

You're glad almost 100 people are out of work. Classy stuff.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

Staff reactions at www.kjr.ca

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Terrible news.

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

The Metro chain, is it the same chain of papers in the states? The same chain of four paragraph stories?

Draft saved Draft deleted