1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another NHL franchise in Toronto?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Oct 21, 2008.

1. prezclinton

prezclinton Active Member

Man, all the good jokes are spent on this one.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The hell with southern Ontario, bring back the Seattle Metropolitans! Go Seattle Mets!

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Screw Canada, screw KC, screw Seattle, screw Vegas, screw 'em all.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bob Uecker wants an NHL team in Milwaukee.

[​IMG]

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

So that means we can go back to making loonie --> dollar conversion rate jokes? Thank God!

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup. Start 'em up.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Who let Al's character from "Home Improvement" design a hockey sweater?

Good grief, that is hideous ...

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Would have been my preference, but you beat me to it.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

You could combine attendance for the Thrashers and Hawks and most night it still wouldn't give you a packed house. And there was actually a decent core fan base developing before the team went all to shit last season.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

I'd support the NHL in Seattle or Portland, or, hell, even in Spokane. They're all solid hockey markets with extremely long histories in the game - Seattle was the first American city to win the Stanley Cup (and has won it more recently than has Vancouver) while Portland was the first American city to challenge for it, as well as the first to win the Memorial Cup.

Spokane was the first to win the Allan Cup and its Chiefs are the defending Memorial Cup champions. As ludicrous as it sounds, an NHL team in Spokane makes far more sense than one in Nashville. From a hockey perspective, at least - although I know that doesn't mean shit in The World According to Garp Bettman.

I love London, far more than I love K-W. Actually, I don't love K-W at all. But K-W has more going for it in terms of its proximity to Toronto, which means it has more going for it in terms of a possible pro hockey venture.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Speaking as someone who has visited the fair city of Spokane I would say that putting a major professional sports franchise there would be ... how shall I put this ... , ah, the worst fucking idea in the history of worst fucking ideas.

Spokane makes Oklahoma City look like Paris.

Draft saved Draft deleted