1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another "Newspapers must die" article

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

http://blog.newsweek.com/blogs/techtonicshifts/archive/2009/09/27/don-t-bail-out-newspapers-let-them-die-and-get-out-of-the-way.aspx

He rips into newspapers and likens the content of the Boston Globe to a college paper, but this article reads like Jeff Jarvis.

2. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A lot of harsh charges. Few if any specifics to back them up.
    1) Reporters ordered to write sponsored content. Give me some links, dude.
    2) "Plenty of countries that don't have democracy do have newspapers." -- I'm sure the Teheran Times is a bastion of journalistic integrity and watchdog mindset.
    3) The Detroit papers are in trouble and "deserve it." Did this guy read the Kilpatrick coverage?

3. Another "newspapers must die" article?
    Well, stop the presses.

Get it? Stop the presses. (rim shot)

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

One question (a bit rhetorical): How's Newsweek doing?

5. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

Best line in that piece of shit article.

6. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

A bunch of generalizations with a byline. No new ideas. Great.

I've been reading the same damn thing since I got in the business two years ago. Sadly, I'm already tired of this crap. Where's the proof?

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I was just about to post this.
    Another article about the great suckitude of newspapers.
    Yet nothing in terms of facts or backing up any of his claims.
    And, of course, the reason why papers aren't making money off the web? The papers.

And incredibly ironic that the article appeared in Newsweek, owned by one of those stupid newspaper companies that's keeping the internet from being profitable.

8. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This was the worst article I have read on the subject. This proves papers need to be around because that column gets sent back to him at a paper. Why? Because there are no supporting facts illustrating his point. It came off as a college newspaper editorial about how old people suck.

9. Deskhack

Deskhack Member

...for about $6 per hour instead of, you know, a living wage. But there are always part-time jobs at Wal-Mart!

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

It's a classic case of circular logic. No money in Internet, it's all at the papers. Get rid of the papers, advertising will flow to Internet.

Yeah, right ... only Carl Lewis has taken greater leaps.

Draft saved Draft deleted