1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another newspaper pro headed online -- Chris Walsh off to Rivals.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Aug 26, 2009.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Good for Chris. Best of luck.

2. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Speaking of...

Turns out, the Tuscaloosa News turned right around and offered this job to the person who quit BamaOnLine.com and opened the door for Walsh in the first place. So, all those hundreds of qualified candidates can save the money they had allocated for stamps. Assuming this person accepts, of course. An interesting move.

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Fuck. And to think I got my wife and kids so excited about the possibility of moving down there. ;D

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Easy sell, I bet. :)

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Even having heard all the horror stories about Rivals, that's a terribly backward move.

6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Why am I not surprised that this impending hire was done afoul of the NYT corporate policy on posting jobs within the chain for two weeks ...

rb

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Every time I read one of these threads I feel like even more of a fool. I left a job covering an ACC team for a Rivals site and the affiliated magazine 2 1/2 years ago to go back to a newspaper. Now, all these guys with the kind of job I wanted are taking the same kind of job I used to have.

But I think it's great the Rivals.com is landing these newspaper guys. I've always felt like the serious reporters out-weighed the fanbois, but this is where the business is heading so it's good to see the sites care about getting legit reporters.

8. Den1983

Den1983 Active Member

Yup, but that's IF he has accepted.

9. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Apparently, that's a formality...

10. longtimecomin

longtimecomin Member

A little off topic, but I interviewed for a job at the Tuscaloosa News a year out of college in 1989 and really thought I had it. Interview went well and it seemed like a good fit.

From what I understand, the sports editor and the managing editor wanted to hire me, but the publisher or some other bigwig wanted a Southern guy. I grew up in St. Louis and had spent most of my life in the Midwest, so I didn't fit that bill. Guess I should have worked on my Southern accent before I went down there.

I got a very nice letter from the managing editor, wishing me good luck and telling me I had a lot to offer to someone. I really appreciated that, although getting the job would have been better. (Being single at the time, I also remember walking around Tuscaloosa and looking at all the women and think this might be as close to Heaven as I'll ever get.)

That's been 20 years, and I wonder how my life would have changed if I had spent a lot of time in the South. . .Still would love to cover the SEC some day. Been to Alabama a few times, but haven't been back to Tuscaloosa since and haven't seen the paper except for on-line a few times.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It was. Chase Goodbread, formerly of BamaOnline.com (the Rivals site) accepted the job on Friday.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Not to be snide, but ... that cannot possibly be his real name.

Can it?

Draft saved Draft deleted