1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another newspaper pro headed online -- Chris Walsh off to Rivals.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moland Spring, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Interesting development on the Alabama beat. Big news, actually.

Chris Walsh, the Tuscaloosa News' Alabama beat reporter, just accepted a job to become the Crimson Tide's beat reporter for BamaOnLine.com, the popular Rivals.com site. It is my understanding that the move is effective soon, if not immediately.

This also may create a high-profile opening at the T-News, alongside columnist Cecil Hurt.

Walsh follows in the footsteps of other beat guys gone to online to Rivals.com -- namely Chris Low (to Volquest.com shortly) and Larry Williams (to TigerIllustrated.com as the Clemson guy). A great move for Chris, and a tough loss for the Tuscaloosa News.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm guessing Tuscaloosa is scrambling about now.

3. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This thread is gonna be a fun read over the coming days and weeks....

4. Mizzougrad96

You can't just tease us like that... :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No teasing necessary. Just sit back and enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

Good for Chris, indeed.

RB

7. derwood

derwood Active Member

Plenty of good people looking for work.

8. apseloser

apseloser Member

Frightening that a job covering a team that got drilled by Utah for a 34,000-circ rag in Hicksville while sitting next to a guy named Cecil is considered dreamy these days.

And don't tell me this is a great beat covering a high-profile program, either. If it was, dude wouldn't have packed his pom poms and left to join the fan boys at Rivals.

9. Mizzougrad96

I've never been a fan of the Tuscaloosa paper, but if you can get a job for a website these days, you take it.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Enjoy that non-compete clause, Chris. Hope you're not planning on covering the team for another news source for 365 days after your contract expires. Enjoy your bosses calling, writing and incessantly harassing Rivals.com talent evaluators who rank any Auburn signee over an Alabama signee (which happened twice to a friend of mine who used to work at a different Rivals.com shop).

But seriously, the money's great. So there's that.

11. Mizzougrad96

You think he wasn't dealing with most of that at the paper? I know people who have covered the SEC who swear they get 70 angry emails a day regardless of what they write.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Wow, you're right, Ryan. This is already entertaining.

Draft saved Draft deleted