1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another music thread -- Your first concert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 31, 2007.

1. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I'm not a him. Ahem.

2. Hey, it tracks better that way.
    Poetic license.
    Sheesh.

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Wow. Way to screw up your expectations for the rest of your life, Irish.

My first: Sammy Hagar at the late, lamented Swing Auditorium in San Bernardino, June, 1981. The older brother of one of my high school buddies was dating a girl who was a huge Hagar fan. So we tagged along.

A few months later, in September 1981, a private plane crashed into the Swing, killing the pilot and destroying a venue that had hosted Elvis, Jefferson Airplane, the Rolling Stones (their first American concert), Elton John, the Jackson Five and the Grateful Dead, among others.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

KISS -- the Animalize Tour -- at the Omni in Atlanta.

I was in sixth grade. Krokus was the opening act.

5. Speedway

Speedway Member

U2 1987 - Joshua Tree Tour at the Orange Bowl. 15 years old. Remember it like it's yesterday.

6. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Dave Matthews Band in the summer of '97.
    First Bruce show was April of 2000 in Raleigh, N.C. Had seats to the back right of the stage, about 10 rows up. No Patti, plenty of early stuff and I was in heaven.
    Of course, next Bruce show was in Nov. 2002 in Greensboro. Through blind luck and eight hours in the rain, was second row in front of Clarence for the entire night. He didn't play Santa Claus is comin' to town, but the band did wear Santa hats for the final encore. I ended up convincing a roadie to give me Bruce's.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Scott Radinsky has been the lead singer for Pulley since its inception in 1995. And he was with Ten Foot Pole before that.

In case you don't know, those are two big bands in punk.

8. Summer 2003, Dallas, Texas (I was 18 ... yes, I am young) - Styx, REO Speedwagon and Journey. This was followed by a Boston concert a few weeks later ... oh, such memories.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

First Bruce show (since everybody else has one :D):

<a href="http://www.brucebase.org.uk/gig2000.htm#28">June 4, 2000</a>, Philips Arena, Atlanta. It was the last show before 10 straight at MSG, and the first show where they played the highly controversial "41 Shots" (and, turns out, the first show where they played "Further On Up The Road," too.)

First show I ever bought tickets for:

Aerosmith, Oct. 3, 1998, Lakewood Amphitheatre, Atlanta. (Third Eye Blind opened.)

First non-country show (as opposed to Tritt/Stuart that I listed earlier):

Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band, 1994, Chastain Park, Atlanta. A pretty cool show with Nils Lofgren, Joe Walsh, Todd Rundgren and Randy Bachman, et al, playing a ton of great songs, too.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Rolling Stones' Steel Wheels tour, but only because I wanted to see Living Colour open the show, in 1989 at Arrowhead Stadium, Kansas City, Mo.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Depeche Mode - Black Celebration tour

Draft saved Draft deleted