1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another music thread -- Your first concert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 31, 2007.

1. lono

lono Active Member

The Allman Brothers and Wet Willie in 1974.

Sat on the floor - this was in the days of what they called festival seating - and had a Sucrets box filled with joints. My date fell asleep in my arms during the 20-minute drum solo in "You Don't Love Me." Good times!

As for the Boss, can't quite match E Street Joe, but close: I've seen him in Ohio, Kentucky, Florida, California, two different sites each in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

2. In Exile

In Exile Member

St. John's Arena, Columbus, OH, circa 1973. Edgar Winter and T-Rex.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Huh? Not sure what you are trying to say... My point was that I enjoyed their earlier music way better than I did their later stuff. I was actually disappointed in the Joshua Tree, which they made us wait a few years for and came out my freshman year of college. The album has grown on my since, but for my tastes, they peaked out around War / Unforgettable Fire in terms of the kind of music I could really get into it. I loved that band when I was in my late teens. I hate what it became much later on.

I just found a site... Here was the exact set list the night I saw them when I was 16:

11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Seconds, MLK, The Unforgettable Fire, Wire, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Electric Co., A Sort Of Homecoming, Bad, October, New Year's Day, Pride Encore(s): Party Girl, Gloria, 40

To me that is a damned near perfect concert. Much of their later stuff would have killed that set.

Feel free to disagree. Just my tastes here.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I saw that Monkees tour in Memphis that year.

First concert: Journey (shut up Oz!) at Kiel Auditorium, 1979.
    Last concert: Beach Boys, 2002.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Saw those two at Massey Hall in Toronto on that tour. Amazing to think now that I saw U2 in a 3,000-seat venue. They were fucking unreal live in those days. They came back a few months later - without the Waterboys - and played Maple Leaf Gardens and were still fucking incredible.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My parents dragged me to see the Greg Kinh Band open for the Beach Boys at the California State Fair sometime in the early 1980s... Hopefully, that doesn't count.

The first ones I bought tickets for were Beastie Boys/Run D.M.C. in 1986 and Cinderella/Bon Jovi the same year...

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

1979, Human Sexual Response, the old Palace Theater in West Warwick, RI. A gloriously fun and tasteless evening ("Jackie O" and "What Does Sex Mean to Me?" were just scratching the surface), with choreography including crawling down the aisles during the encore and the handlicking during that infamous song about anal they performed on Boston's "Five All Night Live All Night" three years later.

8. 1969.
    Holy Cross.
    The Who, touring Tommy for the first time. And an audience so bad that Townshend still recalls it as one of the worst they ever played to. Hey, I did my part.

9. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A good 7 years before I was born. :D

10. dmc

dmc Guest

Grand Funk Railroad

nope, it was Grass Roots at Thunder Road race track in VT.

11. da el g

da el g Member

1975- Foghat/Montrose

I got a bad motorscoooooooooter

12. Captain IJAG didn't come home/His unborn child will never know him...

Draft saved Draft deleted