1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another music thread -- Your first concert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 31, 2007.

1. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

The Who, '79 at the acoustically dreadful Capital Center in Landover, Md.

Or was that Capital Centre?

2. Jackson 5 in 1983ish. I was 10.

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Yeah, peace is shitty.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Police and Oingo Boingo at the Fabulous Forum on the Ghost in the Machine tour - I'm guessing 1981.

First (and only) Bruce show - Tacoma Dome in '88 on the Tunnel of Love tour.

Most-seen bands: Fishbone (something like 17 times in a roughly 4 year span) and Elvis Costello (probably double-digits by now).

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Oingo Boingo, 1987, Hollywood Palladium.

Great time. Great music.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

The Romantics at a tiny D-III gym in Michigan. I was 12 and it was in my hometown. I remember not being impressed. Next concert after that was three years later, Wynton Marsalis at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis. Much better.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

OzzFest '01. Disturbed was great. Linkin Park was great. That stupid band with the song called "Butterfly" was violently booed off the stage. Sabbath was fucking amazing.

8. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

This thread was last done a couple years ago, and it absolutely never gets old.

Doc, slight correction: Metalpalooza was in 1996. Metallica only played two official shows in 1995, both in England. Yes, I'm one of those scary Metallica fans.

My concert cherry was broken by Metallica, January 7, 1992 at the LA Forum. The Black Album tour, no opening act, their absolute prime.

I was 16 years old, and was lucky enough to meet the band prior to the show. Local radio station Pirate Radio 100.3 had a DJ on site, who gave out meet and greet passes "two for anyone wearing something that says Metallica on it!!" My skinny ass had a brand-new Ride the Lightning shirt (a Christmas present) and the friend who would later be best man at my wedding practically picked me up and threw me at the DJ dude.

Lars never came out for the meet and greet. Jason wore a shirt that had the Levi's logo rearranged as "Elvis." Kirk was really cool and mellow. James wore a leatheer jacket with a Raiders pin (hell yeah), and made some funny remarks when skankmodels from Pirate pose for a photo with him. Really cool guys, all three.

Problem was, I was so in awe and nervous and stupid that aside from "nice to meet you, love you music, thanks" the only thing I could think of to say was to Kirk:

"Metallica, you guys fuckin' SHRED!!!"

I'm a slightly better interviewer now.

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Beck at the Manchester Apollo, England, March 1997.

Freaking amazing show off the back of Odelay. Did a great set, and then came out for an encore in this amazing black cowboy outfit.

First Arena show was the Manic Street Preachers at the Manchester Evening News Arena a couple of months later. I got the last show poster they had for a friend of mine who hadn't been able to get a ticket. She made me a recording of the show off the radio broadcast. I listened to it 'til it wore out.

Great, great girl.

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Rolling Stones, Bridges to Babylon Tour in 97 at The Horseshoe in Columbus. Seats couldn't have been farther from the stage. We were in the last row, dead center of the U. The stage was at the open portion.

11. August West

August West Member

3/15/74 van morrison and the persuasions at the felt forum

12. Mira

Mira Member

Judas Priest at Alpine Valley in 1982. I had to babysit my 12-year-old sister and her buddies. My ears rang for at least a week. I think that was about the time they were in the Guiness Book of World Records for breaking a decibel record.

Draft saved Draft deleted