1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another music thread -- Your first concert

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 31, 2007.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What was the first concert you attended?

Mine... 1982 (I was 13 at the time)
    Survivor (on the Eye of the Tiger tour) opening for REO Speedwagon (on the Good Trouble tour)

2. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

I got a free ticket to see Billy Joel at Alpine Valley (Wis.) in 1990, the summer before my senior year of high school. GREAT concert...not many have matched it since...

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Ramones, 1984. First and possibly best.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

1992 -- Travis Tritt and Marty Stuart ;D

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

1974 (I was 13 and on my first date) - Nazareth "Razzamatazz" tour

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I live a sheltered, lonely, detestable life. My first concert wasn't until 1998, when I was something like 24 years old. It was Lauryn Hill, back when she was within her mental faculties. Opening was Outkast, which of course would go on to eclipse her and a half, but at the time who saw that coming? Hell of a show. Beat the Survivor/Foreigner twinbill I went to with my Bible study group.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

The Jackson "Victory" tour at Arrowhead Stadium. I was six or so.

First concert I paid from my own pocket was Chicago, and Crosby, Stills and Nash when I was 17.

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Sorta big name: Chuck Mangione, at my high school, fall, 1970
    Sorta sorta big name: The Ides of March, Myrtle Beach, S.C., spring of 1971.
    First real big name: Blood, Sweat and Tears, Oct., 1971
    First big stadium show: The Band/Eric Clapton, summer, 1973
    First Bruce Springsteen show: The Boss/Goose Creek Symphony, April, 1974.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Metallica, 1995, Lollapalooza in Milwaukee.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

1991 -- Bon Jovi and Skid Row.

I shit you not.

11. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

My first and only Springsteen concert was a debacle. My best friend is a huge Springsteen fan, so I bought us a pair of tickets as a birthday gift to him. This was the for the Human Touch tour, or whatever it was called.

Well, his mother got him tickets, too. So I was stuck with the tickets. Not being a big fan, I was kind of bummed, but took a date.

Had some bad chicken at the mall in downtown Milwaukee and spent the encore in a Bradley Center bathroom as "Born to Run" echoed around me...

12. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

1984 -- Chicago at the long gone McNichols Sports Arena in Denver. Peter Cetera's last big tour with the band.

It got better soon after that with the likes of Genesis, Journey (Perry's last tour with them), Billy Joel, Rush and the Monsters of Rock (Van Hagar, Scorpions, Dokken, Metallica and Kingdom Come) at the L.A. Coliseum within a span of four years. Monsters of Rock was free because I won two tickets from the local radio station.

Draft saved Draft deleted