1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another "Mother of the Year" candidate

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportsguydave, Jul 2, 2009.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

File this under George Carlin's "People who should be killed.."

=================================================

Woman left newborn in portable toilet, police say

(CNN) -- A 44-year-old Maryland woman faces charges of child abuse after police say she gave birth in a portable toilet and dropped the newborn into the waste tank.

After exiting the portable toilet in Long Wharf Park in Cambridge, Candy Vigneri got a cigarette from a construction worker and sat at a picnic table, police Lt. Wayne Bromwell said.

As she sat, a male passer-by approached the toilet but Vigneri warned him, "Don't go in there, I just had a baby there," police said.

The man immediately called 911. Vigneri returned to the toilet and retrieved the newborn from the foul liquid at the base of the tank.

The baby was unresponsive and covered with a blue antibacterial chemical agent when emergency responders reached the scene, police said.

Vigneri told officers that she didn't know she was pregnant.

She was arrested Wednesday on charges of child abuse and reckless endangerment and is being held on a $50,000 bond.

The baby is in stable condition at Easton Memorial Hospital. Dorchester County social services will take control of the newborn after she is released from the hospital.

2. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And that blue chemical stains your skin. It stays with you.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

I'm sure the other mothers incarcerated at the local jail have already introduced Ms. Vigneri to said blue chemical.

5. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Hope so.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Jesus. What is wrong with people?

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Buck, and how do you know that? ;)

8. highlander

highlander Member

Got a competitor

Kids Left In Car While Mom Drinks In Dallas Bar
    Reporting
    Carol Cavazos
    DALLAS (CBS 11 News) ― A Dallas man is being credited with saving the lives of three children who were left in a hot car while their mother was inside, drinking at a bar. The incident happened at about 10:30 p.m. Tuesday night at the Lakewood Landing, located in east Dallas.

The mother was sitting on the bar's outdoor patio, drinking alcohol with two companions. Meanwhile, her 11-month-old, 2-year-old and 4-year-old kids were left in the woman's car, without air conditioning. The windows were rolled down, but it was 83 degrees outside.

"It's so obvious, not to do that," comment bar owner Bill Rossell. "I was shocked. I couldn't believe it. These kids are looking out with these big eyes. A bunch of people are out here drinking and these kids with their big, innocent eyes, and there's their mother. And it was the 4-year-old's birthday."

The mom, who has been identified as 23-year-old Asia Thomas, was later arrested for abandoning and endangering the lives of her children.

A man saw what was happening and, after about an hour, called the police. "I did hear crying. Everybody heard crying," he said. The man did not want to be identified. "Everybody would turn and look and go right back to what they were talking about."

"Nobody was taking a stand," the man continued. "They were going to let those people drive off with the kids, and I just couldn't take it anymore."

The man said he also called the police because he did not want the mother to drive the kids home after she had been drinking. Thomas said she had consumed three shots and three 16-ounce beers.

Rossell arrived at the bar shortly before police arrived, after police had already been called. He said Thomas told authorities, "She said, 'It's his fourth birthday, and you're going to take me to jail?' Trying to use that as an excuse."

Brian Brown is the father of all three children. He said that he did not learn about the incident until Thursday because he and Thomas have been separated. "She could have took the kids anywhere," he said. "Why leave them in a car? That don't make sense to me. Then you looking over the balcony while drinking shots."

Child Protective Services is currently investigating the case. Brown said that he plans to fight for custody.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

This chick is still squeezing out kids at the age of 44?

10. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Not to at all absolve the mother of leaving her kids in the car while she went to get drunk, but I think they're severely overstating it when they say the guy is credited as saving the lives of the three kids. The windows were down, it was 10:30 at night and it was 83 degrees. The kids weren't going to die.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

One was an 11-month-old -- can't imagine that being an ideal situation.

12. highlander

highlander Member

Until this drunk idiot gets into her car to drive home. Then she is threatening the kids lives and other people on the road.

Draft saved Draft deleted