1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another MN state boys basketball miracle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Small Town Guy, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yeah, stall ball is as much the defensive team's fault as the offensive team.

2. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

D-3 Fan,
    I graduated from Danville in 1987. The next year, Danville lost a sectional game 10-7 to Van Buren. The alma mater, which went in out-gunned and out-manned, ran stall ball the whole game and missed a 3 at the buzzer.
    From what I heard afterward, the opponent's crowd went berserk all game long.

3. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Had a girls game a few years ago where the home team jumped out 10-0 in the first two minutes. When the visiting team finally got the ball across midcourt without turning it over, that coach ordered his players to hold it for the rest of the quarter.

"God damnit, we'll just get beat 10-0!"

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Postscript: Hopkins lost tonight in one of the best state finals in recent Minnesota history -- 84-82, missing a 3 at the buzzer. Hopkins was up four with 20 seconds. Kid hit a 3 and got fouled. Missed the FT but the team got the offensive board and scored to take the lead. Kid who's going to Xavier had 43 for the victors.

See, Minnesota has exciting hoops.

5. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

If this Hopkins team was such a powerhouse and averaging 90 points a game, why would they want to hold the ball?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am guessing Hopking wanted to draw the defense out to give its better one-on-one players some space, and the other team didn't go for that and stayed packed in, and at that point it became a dick-measuring contest between the coaches.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I covered a game nice where the visitors, who had not lost a conference game for a decade, were on the road and won the tip for three straight overtimes and held the ball for the last shot against knee-to-knee man to man d each time. In the fourth OT the AAA visitors won the tip and the hosts fouled just so they could get the ball.

Visiting Blackhawk would up winning in 5 OTs, and it was the most amazing thing I had ever seen. Al Campman, the coach of the visitors, was weeping like his child just died after the game. If you know the history of these two schools and ever saw Campman in action, you would appreciate this more.

But holding the ball is so impressive.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

From what I've read I think this is probably the most accurate reason.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

1. If you have a 10-year conference winning streak, it's extremely safe to assume you probably have a decisive raw-talent advantage over almost all opponents.

2. If you win the tip and they are in a tight man defense, that talent advantage should come to the fore.

3. If you stall anyway, you deserve to weep after the end of the game -- at your own stupidity.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Losing coach was crying, and if you know you gave last shot in OT and will either win or play another OT, you take that every time.

And they were not substantially better talent wise. This was the second highest class in PA playing the number two team in the conference.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Um, OK, it was kinda unclear from the original post which coach was weeping.

Personally, I don't think you stall unless you think you have an across-the-board talent disadvantage at almost every position; if talent is relatively equal, you play basketball, and resolve to execute better, be in better condition, make more shots and grab more loose balls (rebounds, steals).

Then you get into the real dick-measuring contest.

Draft saved Draft deleted