1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another missing kid in Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Calvin Hobbes, Feb 12, 2009.

1. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Surprisingly, Florida's age of consent is 18.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_North_America

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

He didn't know that. The police know that.

Technically, however, you may be correct if we assume that the Satsuma Police Department consists of a dumb redneck.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good post, FDP. I would have guessed 16. And it appears that our grieving father has committed a felony, assuming some hanky panky was going on.

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Maybe the guy had a medical reason for doing it.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

But, if the person is 15 or under... have at it!

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes. A boner fide medical reason.

7. jps

jps Active Member

while it seems the dad is, well, skeevy? ... probably shouldn't overshadow the fact that a little girl has gone missing.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't know what the deal is in Florida. You'd think you would hear more about these things in California given its population, but it seems that for every one you hear about somewhere else, Florida has two.

9. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Minor point, but 'woken up'?

10. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I was only partially listening to the TV this morning. Did I hear a report that said the 17-year-old girlfriend supposedly was in the same bedroom as the little girl? If this is the case and she's saying she didn't hear anything, boy, that's a tough one to buy.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I know a couple people who would never know.

Now, she may be dirty, but that story is plausible on its face.

12. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Having spent a few years on the cop's beat before going to sports, this one raises some questions. It is a rarity that someone just snatches a child in the middle of the night. I get the feeling that the girlfriend did it. It was likely unitentional and along the lines of the 5-year-old was refusing to eat dinner, go to bed, take a bath and the 17-year-old snapped and hit the kid a little too hard. Kid's head hits tv, table or the like. The teen freaks, hides the body and concocts the story.

Draft saved Draft deleted