1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another missing kid in Florida

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Calvin Hobbes, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

Isn't this the third or fourth one in the last 2-3 years? There are some things that make me wonder about this story, including the fact that 44 sex offenders live within five miles of this little girl's home.

SATSUMA, Fla. (AP) — Investigators were treating the disappearance of a 5-year-old north Florida girl as an abduction and continued searching for the child Thursday.
    The Putnam County Sheriff's Office said investigators assume Haleigh Cummings was abducted because house-to-house searches of the neighborhood Wednesday found no evidence that she wandered away.
    Haleigh's father Ronald Cummings also said he didn't believe she had left their home in the middle of the night.
    "I know somebody took her. I know for a fact she didn't wander off — she's afraid of the dark," Cummings told NBC's "Today" on Thursday.
    Haleigh was last seen Monday night in her father's mobile home in Satsuma. The rural community along the St. Johns River is about 70 miles north of Orlando.
    She was reported missing when her father returned home from work early Tuesday. His girlfriend had woken up and discovered the child was missing.
    The girlfriend, 17-year-old Misty Croslin, told a 911 dispatcher that a back door that was usually locked had been propped open by a brick.
    Sheriff Jeff Hardy told NBC's "Today" that searches for Haleigh by air, ground and water would continue Thursday. Investigators also were interviewing the 44 sex offenders living within 5 miles of Ronald Cummings' home.

2. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

A 17-year-old girlfriend?! :eek:

That's some pretty screwed up stuff right there.

Why on Earth would you want to raise a child when there is knowingly 44 sex offenders around you? Does this girl's dad have rocks for a brain?

3. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

I really, really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think this is going to end well. In a huge metro area, you could almost see that many sex offenders within five miles of any given point. Maybe. But out in the sticks somewhere?

4. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

First Caylee, now Haleigh.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

The dad probably didn't have any idea.

Not to mention there are many more instances of a family member or someone known to the family kidnapping a kid than the boogie man sex offenders. And yeah, the girlfriend sounds a bit sketchy.

6. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If you have to live in a trailer park, that's where the lowest common denominator is.

When you don't have money, your options can be limited.

7. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Paging Nancy Grace.....
    Paging Nancy Grace.....

8. Simon_Cowbell

First there was Carly.... But this one is much more like Polly.

9. jps

jps Active Member

definitely something off with the whole thing, but can't blame the guy for wanting to hand out some personal justice. I'd go to jail for my daughter any day.

10. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

When our daughter was much younger, we told her that, if she didn't finish her vegetables, we would move to Florida.

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

First of all, how is some dumb redneck going to know there are 44 sex offenders.
    Second, he should be one of them. The father of the missing girl is 25. The girlfriend is 17 and has lived with him for five months. Do the math. I know statutory rape isn't the main issue here with a 5 year old missing, but it could explain a lot.
    Third, Nancy Grace is already on it.

12. Simon_Cowbell

17 may be street legal in Florida.

Draft saved Draft deleted