1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another missed fieldgoal dooms Chargers!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Brain of J, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Field goal. Two words.

Signed,

Athlete's mother representing group of angry parents

2. Extraordinarily well played, Meat! :D

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

A 54-yard field goal. OK. That's a good one. But here's my question.

If you're an NFL coach and your kicker has 52-yard range, are you NOT keeping one eye open for somebody who can give you a shot if you get down the opponent's 38 or 40?

I mean, if you luck into one of those combination kickoff boomers who has the leg for 57 but not necessarily the consistency, that's something in itself. But where do you all want to draw the line here? 52 yards? 50? 48? At what point should an NFL kicker be reasonably expected to make the kick?

My line in the sand is probably a little bit further out than some of yours. Then again, I've seen three high school kickers hit from outside 50 in the past five years.

4. KP

KP Active Member

Keep in mind in high school kids are kicking off 2" blocks. Still 50+ is a solid boot, but it's not the same as off the grass. 45 and in you should have confidence of the kicker making it, feeling pretty good from 45-52, beyond that you are hoping he can pull through.

5. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Spot is confused again about who uses a tee for kicking.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Where I am, there are no blocks, and I saw a kid hit a 52-yarder that would've been good from probably 55 or 56 this year.

That said, when I saw them send out the FG unit in SD for that last one, the first thing I said was, "Remember, Marty went for it on fourth and 11 from the 30 because he knew Kaeding wasn't hitting it. Forget 54. This game's over." Verbatim, right there.

Marty knew Kaeding wasn't hitting that, but if he tried anything else (ie, a 5-yard out to get a few yards closer) and didn't get a kick off, he would've been strung up.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

What really did in the Chargers: the Santa Ana winds!

8. KP

KP Active Member

Global warming won the game for the Patriots. /al gore

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He may have known it was unlikely, but at that point, I think he was right that trying the FG was his best shot.

10. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

My line in the sand is 50 yards. I would expect my kicker to be 100 percent inside 30 yards, 90 percent inside 40, 75 percent inside 50 and 50 percent outside 50. I think if you have that, then you have a solid kicker.

Of course, it wasn't the kick at the end of the game that did in the Chargers, it was the non-kick in the first quarter that did them in. No guarantees that Kaeding makes in it the first quarter, but he had a better chance of making that than Rivers did of making 11 yards.

11. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

Agreed. It was inexplicable for Marty to pass up a makeable FG attempt to go for it on 4th and 11. He said after the game that he thought they had a play that could get the yardage. What? He thought it was more likely that he'd get 11 yards on 4th down against the Pats than his Pro Bowl kicker making a 47-yard FG? Just a ridiculous decision. Nantz and Simms, of course, barely raised an eyebrow. Nice analysis, guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted