1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Lunkhead Broadcasting Suspension

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Feb 9, 2008.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Didn't even know Coppock was still on the air:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-080208chet-coppock-suspended,0,4098093.story

Chet Coppock is the latest to suffer from this dreaded malady. WMVP-AM 1000 has suspended the veteran sportscaster until Feb. 23 after he made an offensive remark about Jews on his show Feb. 2.

During an exchange with Ben Finfer, Coppock was asked to spell Jewish. He replied, "Money, M-O-N-E-Y."

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Funny, but very offensive on the air. Has Chester Coppock finally lost it in Chicago??

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Included in Jay Marriotti's take on the episode:
    I could make an aggressive case that Coppock be fired, knowing WMVP is owned and operated by ESPN, a company that demands good taste and high ethics and won't stand for deplorable dreck.

What fucking planet has this guy been living on?

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Let me guess, the same planet in which he's getting paid to talk like an idiot for 30 minutes...by ESPN.

What a hypocrite. TJ Simers should be laughing his ass off after reading what Jay wrote.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Why on earth would anyone include anything from Jay Mariotti and think it could possibly an argument worth anybody on this board's time?

7. Maverick

Maverick New Member

Was just about to post the same thing. Mariotti couldn't possibly be more hypocritical in this situation.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'd like to see the whole Jay-bird piece.

Surely, he was being sarcastic. Had to be . . right? Right?

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe the Sun-Times ran out of blue font?

I knew Chet when his face covered that entire building across from East Bank...he'd parade around town in a full length fur coat. He was the only game in town, before sports talk became so huge, and some upstart little station knocked him off the air.

I guess if 'Fuck Jesus' merits a week's suspension from espn, this should cost ariound the same.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Wrong.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/mariotti/785028,mariotti020908.article

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

More. Coppock has a history of inappropriate behavior.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted