1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another leaves newspapers - but not for Web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 27, 2007.

1. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

This sucks for our business but sounds like a good deal for Scott, who is a fine reporter and better person.

As a side note, former Orlando Sentinel assistant sports editor Jim Grove is a financial planner in Jackson, Miss., so Scott's not the only one to make this kind of move. But it is rare.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

Oddly enough, I was a financial planner (I worked for my dad at Merrill Lynch) before I became a sports writer.

There are many, many days when I question my decision to leave.

3. I have a friend who left this business to become a tae kwon do instructor.

He's now back in the business. :)

4. FuerteJ

FuerteJ Active Member

I never knew Scott, but heard his praises the past three years whilst covering an SEC beat. I wish him the best of luck and admire him for putting family as high up on his list as he does.

5. I got to work with Scott a few times, though thankfully I never in a capacity where I had to compete against him. He is one of the best beat writers I know, and a really nice guy to boot. I wish him nothing but the best in the future.

That having been said, covering Arkansas - especially Arkansas football - is just brutal, particularly with all that's happened around the program the last year-plus. Until they find a replacement AD for Broyles and Nutt leaves/gets fired, it's liable to stay that way.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Is Nutt nuts?

7. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

Moddy, are you ok?

You're atypically full of joie de vivre on this thread.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Another one of the best college writers around leaving...

9. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Financial planning has been rated at or near the top in surveys of best careers in terms of stress level and compensation. Good for Scott.
    That said, how does one become a financial guru working as a journalist?
    Managing Monopoly money? :)

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I am back to normal now. Thanks for checking.

11. joe

joe Active Member

As a member of the Mafia who worked with Cain here for a short time a long time ago, I can assure you that he has been granted honorary made-man status.

Draft saved Draft deleted