1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another leaves newspapers - but not for Web

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What do we know about financial advising?!?!

Arkansas Beat Writer to Leave Newspaper Biz
    Scott Cain, one of the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette's lead Razorbacks writers is leaving the newspaper business to be a financial adviser.
    Cain is the No. 1 on Basketball and No. 2 on football and has been at the paper for nearly 11 years. Cain has also served as the lead football writer.
    Cain is a Baylor grad and a member of the Mizzou mafia having worked at the Daily Tribune in Columbia.
    The column talking about the departure is here...http://www.wholehogsports.com/adg/194078/
    No word on who will take over the beat, if it will be an internal promotion or if they will go outside the paper, but one suspects with football nearly here, the paper will move quickly to fill the position.
    Cain is a quality guy and one of the best beat writers in the SEC.
    He'll be missed.

2. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

That's a new one.

Good luck to Scott.

3. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

One of the nicest, most reasonable and rational guys in the business.

4. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Wow. A shocker. For those who never got the chance to work with (or against) Scott, that's too bad. He was one of the nicest, fairest, and most professional reporters around. Like many here, I will miss hanging out with him.

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Scott, If you're reading this, please advise your customers not to buy stock in newspaper companies. They'll thank you.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I never met Scott Cain, but know several people who know him and have worked with him. To a man, they compliment him to embarrassing lengths.

My best wishes to him.

7. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My sister owns her own financial planning business, and my dad still works in a very similar field.
    I see what they pull, and trust me, the thought has crossed my mind once or twice.

Question, though: does having worked at the Columbia Tribune really make you part of The Mafia? Where's MizzouGrad when you need him?

8. Editude

Editude Active Member

Former colleague quit in mid-career to become a financial adviser. One of his clients is the former Mrs. Editude.

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Was she paying him with more than just a cut of her portfolio? Is that what led her to become the former Mrs. Editude? :)

10. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

I'll echo what everyone else has said about Scott, one of the nicest guys you could ever know and very good at his job. I'm sure he'll succeed at BoA but it's definitely a loss for journalism.

11. Mountainburg

Mountainburg New Member

Exactly, OJ.

The thing about Scott - and he proved this with his decision to leave - was that his focus was family first, all the way. It didn't matter to him what beat he was covering or where he was working...he wanted more time with his wife and kids.

There are a lot of people who pay lip service to that sort of thing. It's refreshing to see someone who walks the walk. Ultimately, without a home base, what are you left with?

The guy racked up awards by the truckload and had the respect of just about everybody covering the SEC. But being a good husband and father meant more.

How refreshing.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Indeed. And before anyone else says it, thanks for posting Scott!

I'm being a wiseass. Don't anybody else be one.

Draft saved Draft deleted