1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another lawmaker makes bigotted remarks.....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zagoshe, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I find the remark offensive and, obviously, the people at CNN.com at least saw it as offensive enough to warrant a blog entry.

I think the thing that keeps this from being a bigger story than it is being portrayed (right now at least, it could still catch some legs), is that it's the kind of political mudslinging we're used to seeing in a presidential campaign and it's directed solely at the one person. Obama.

The Oklahoma rep called gays (which make up what, roughly 10 percent of the population?) a bigger threat than terrorists. Both are bigoted. Both are offensive. And neither have any place in the political discourse of this country. But surely you can see how one is more inflammatory than the other, right?

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I can see it. And don't call me Shirley.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

LOL.

Seriously though, I think some people carry a twisted belief of blacks who fought for the god given right of human equality means they've fought for some higher degree of power at the expense of others when doing so.

How else can they justify their off kilter beliefs?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Geraldine Ferraro, a former VP candidate just said Barack Obama isn't qualified to be president because he's black and you don't think that's a big story? Uh, ok.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Dude, he didn't say he thought it wasn't a big story. Please, read it again.

6. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Why are you jockeying one wrongdoing against the other?

What do you get out of that outside of putting one over the other?

7. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Oh, I see, so if the rep from Oklahoma referred to, oh I don't know, Barney Frank, as "that Fag congressman from Mass." it would not have been worthy of nearly as big of a stink because she only insulted one homosexual person as opposed to a whole bunch?

All I know is this -- if Trent Lott or Rick Santorum said the only reason Obama is where he is is because he's black -- the pinheads at CNN and MSNBC would have cancelled all programming today and had 24-hour wall-to-wall coverage, complete with cutaways for reaction to every black neighborhood in America.

It is a ridiculous double standard.

But there is no bias in the media.....

8. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

That isn't what she said at all.

What she actually said was that the man isn't qualified to be president. The only reason he has been able to get this far is because he is black. People are looking over his lack of qualifications solely based on the fact that he is black.

I think her comments are crap, but that is what she is saying.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Nice strawman. Too bad it doesn't exist and never did exist. Good try though! You get an A for effort.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Why is it that some on the right have such a desperate need to feel like victims?

Seriously, you think it's proof of bias that Ferraro's remarks haven't gotten bigger play? Geraldine Ferraro is 20+ years beyond being even moderately relevant. I don't give a shit what she has to say any more than I care what any other wannabe-VP who took an ass-kicking thinks, like Jack Kemp.

And if you actually read what she says, it's not a bigoted comment at all. Pastor is exactly right -- she's saying he isn't qualified, and that he only got this far because he's black. I think it's stupid and wrong, but it's not bigoted.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

For those who weren't clear on what I said, I'll try again.

IT IS OFFENSIVE. IT HAS NO PLACE IN POLITICAL DISCOURSE. I am not defending it, not saying it is not a big story. I am, however, saying that clearly, the Representative from Oklahoma made a more inflammatory remark.

I don't know why I bother arguing stuff like this with you guys. You all seem to think that everything said is equal. If Obama was caught cheating on his wife with a 35-year-old woman, you would wonder why it wasn't as big of a story as John McCain cheating on his wife with a 9-year-old boy (disclaimer: obviously neither of these stories are true, it's just an example).

There are degrees to everything, there are shades of gray to everything. It really must be horrible to see everything in absolutes the way you do. It sounds like a really stressful way to live life.

12. I don't know.
    CNN threw it up there, and at least two local radio yakkers were talking about it here. I suspect the cable nets will be all over it. Ferraro's been on at least two Fox shows already. The Spitzer's story is going to take up a lot of oxygen, too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.