1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Law & Order hiring

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by lantaur, Jun 16, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I saw Caruso a few times on NYPD and remember how he left to become a big movie star.

In CSI Miami, just listen to him deliver lines. I'd write down some type of humorous analogy, but I can't even think of one.

2. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

David Spade did a good rip on Caruso on the Showbiz Show a couple of weeks back.

3. Flash

Flash Guest

I liked him on NYPD Blue. Then he went off and starred in Jade. Was that the name of it?And it was God-awful. I haven't been able to watch CSI: Miami because of it.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Caruso is up there with Chuck Norris as Walker:TX Ranger as characters who are deathly serious but amazingly, unintentionally hilarious.

5. sportsed

sportsed Guest

That, my friend, is a bold statement, even with the "may" thrown in there.

6. suburbanite

suburbanite Active Member

Agreed, except I'd say Caruso as Horatio Caine. Caruso as Det. John Kelly on Blue was a believable character.

But, yes, CSI:Miami is right up there with 24 as the best unintentional comedy on TV these days.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It's pretty sad when you peak after 12 lines in an Officer and a Gentleman, yet keep getting acting jobs....
    Caruso is weak

8. suburbanite

So will this be the last year of L&O: The Mother Ship?

I don't know enough about Jovich to comment about her casting, and I even think having a male/female dynamic in the detective team could be a shot in the arm. [As long as it doesn't get as absurd as Meloni and the Hungarian.]

But it seems like they've again gone the assistant to the ADA as eye candy/wallpaper route, which does not exactly inspire confidence.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

That's funny, because Jack Palance got an Oscar for having only 12 lines in High Noon.

Caruso reminds me of a gross caricature of the smarmy cop who investigates Kramer for the murder of the starlet in the Seinfeld 3-fold episode when they go to L.A.

10. Beatrice Straight won an Oscar for Network for one scene and fewer lines that Palance had.

11. The Commish

The Commish Guest

It's quite a long way the all-guy beginnings: Logan, Greevey, Robinette, Stone, Cragan and Adam Schiff.

I'd also point out what happened to "Homicide": A great show with great actors who weren't lookers. By the end, they punched up the looker quotient, to the acting's detriment.

12. suburbanite

True. I think the poster child for that was Michael Michele, who was equally vapid as a Baltimore police detective and as a Chicago doctor on ER.

Draft saved Draft deleted