1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Josh Hamilton thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Why was the last thread locked. Is he running for Congress ?

3. Dick Whitman

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

No ... when asked whether he believed in sabermetrics, Hamilton said, "I'm going to punt on that."

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Looks like it was locked due to a surge in largely pointless HOF threads.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Dead giveaway. A true sabermetrician would almost never punt.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I would bet serious money that the shoulder injury/surgery had something to do with the relapse. There are a lot of instances of people who have been clean for awhile, who relapse as soon as they have to take painkillers.

I have a friend who had the same thing happen. I'm not claiming to fully understand how everything works, but he was sober seven years with seemingly no issues. He had major back surgery and months later was hooked on painkillers and back on alcohol.

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Incredibly difficult to overcome an addiction, and that difficulty has to be multiplied 100 fold when you have the freedom, money and sycophants of a high-profile professional athlete.

9. Dick Whitman

Is that what you take from it?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

RJ -- sober seven years? What time frame is that? He had at least one very highly publicized relapse in Texas and probably some others too.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Yeah.

"Let's let a guy build the career and be a little closer to the end of it before we start these discussions and end up with 20 "hall of fame" threads and their copy cats from people who think they're just HI-lar-ious (they're not) "

Anyway, I hope Hamilton finds a way to get through this. Sounds like his demons run very deep.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about his post playing days.

Structure helps, and so does having a reason to stay clean.

Once baseball is over, the structure is gone, and he's going to have a lot of free time to fill.

His marriage apparently provides some structure, but there have been problems there as well. I don't see this ending well.

Draft saved Draft deleted