1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Job Interview Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 5, 2010.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Followed by Ace's one liner thread.

2. Drip

Drip Active Member

Why are you working yourself up into such a frantic state? It's not worth it. Act like you know and interview with whomever shows up. I know you may be scared thinking that it's your last chance to break out but one of two things are going to happen, you are either going to get it or you won't. If you get it, then you'll leave this screwed up business and think about the good times. If you don't, then you'll learn from the experience and keep trying until something else comes along.
    Good Luck.

3. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Not sure how they would take it, but yeah I 'd love to know these things in advance too.

Once interviewed at a university for a position that was in the communications department, not athletics, though would work with athletics and eventually be purely athletics. As if the job description and future of the job weren't difficult enough to deal with, it made the interview hell. Twelve people were there. AD, SID, Communications chair, some VP, HR director, the head baseball coach (still not sure why), and a few other odds and ends. It was quite intimidating just because they are all asking questions from different aspects of the job.

Not sure that knowing all these people would be there woulda helped, but sheesh, I don't see how it woulda made me more nervous.

4. Biggest collection of interviewers I had was eight, set up like a panel discussion, for a govt communications post. The group included the supervisor, the supervisor's director and a smattering of colleagues I would be working with. Felt like I was on Meet The Press, but more confrontational.

I also had four interviewers at once in a conference call phone interview for a university job.

Interesting common thread: Both jobs were never filled because of budget cuts. And I suspect both groups suspected as much. Seemed more like an exercise.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

If you don't wear a shirt from your college days into the interview, I'll be disappointed.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

This one had two interviewing me. I passed. I'm invited back for another interview as they whittle it down. It's me and two others.

Last month, interviewed in front of four people. Didn't get that job - but I don't think I really wanted it looking back.

But, still in the running for this one. So we shall see.

7. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

glad it went well...good luck Pete

8. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted