1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Job Interview Question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I know of one person who I'll be interviewing for. But should I email the person who arranged the interview and ask who all will be in attendance?

I suspect it's going to be more than just one person.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Why not? And/or does it really matter?

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

I can't imagine why you would ask. Will knowing the names and job titles of who will be in the room change your approach?

I'm assuming that you'll make your best pitch regardless if the managing editor or HR is in the room, so knowing who you'll be talking to ahead of time strikes me as a little trivial. But that's just me.

Best of luck in the interview, Pete.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Only matters because I know a lot people who MIGHT be there, so I know their likes and dislikes, what they're specifically looking for.

Plus, I'd like to go in and be able to strike up small talk about them personally. For instance, I know the one guy doing the interviewing is a grad from my college's greatest rival.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Forgot to mention, it's not a paper interview, I'm trying to get the hell out.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would not be that blunt.

And I would assume if you are interviewing with multiple people, it would be done separately -- not six people all grilling you at once. I don't think I have ever interviewed with more than two people at a time and those were the potential co-worker types.

So my advice is to get back with them and see if they can give you a schedule of the day Mr. Jones at 9 a.m., lunch with Mrs. Smith, etc.

That would give you the chance to see if you can work up some kin with any.

7. No, don't ask.

I admit that would have pissed me off -- not completely sure why -- when I was in a hiring position.

It seems presumptious -- I think you are best to show how you cope with whatever hand you are dealt

8. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I interviewed for a public radio station's news director role a few months ago. The whole staff...about 10 in all...were in the room.

Yeah, not intimidating at all.

9. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

I don't see the need to ask ahead...just roll with the punches.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

For the job I have now, I interviewed with three people at once. For another job I didn't get, I interviewed with eight different people, one at a time. Neither were newspaper gigs.

But to answer the question, no. Just go with it. Prove you can handle shit on the fly.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think we need an all-purpose Pete I job thread. Thoughts?

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah. And a separate RickStain McDonald's diary.

Draft saved Draft deleted