1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Inconvenient Truth for Al Gore

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 1, 2010.

1. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Alas, I'm afraid that our righty friends will just end up being disappointed in the end when yet another bogus sex scandal goes nowhere. Y'all should be used to disappointment, though. :)

My sense is the Portland police are just doing this in CYA mode.

It is the National Enquirer, after all. Even with the Edwards story, they're ... what? 1-for-eternity?

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If it's his word against her word, just show the jury "An Inconvenient Truth" and they'll easily decide she's the most credible of the two.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

You've got as solid a read on Portland, Ore. jury pools as Bill Buckner had on Mookie Wilson's grounder.

4. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This we know: Former Vice President Al Gore AKA "Mr Stone" paid $540 for a 3 hour massage with a 54 year old masseuse named Molly.

If it goes no farther I'm pretty content as the facts stand.

5. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Yeah, they're morons in Portland. But there's always hope they'll eventually wise up and know they've been snowed.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Uh, they got most of the OJ story right. Also, out front with Tiger Woods. We're past the point of dismissing the NE. Maybe they're not batting .750 but they're not to be dismissed.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You forgot John Edwards. If there was any doubt of their credibility before that story there is none now. You could now make a case that The Times is less credible.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I've posted this before. The Enquirer has had a spotty history, but it actually has done some reporting that beat the hell out of other news outlets on stories a lot of people were chasing.

On the negative side, they have had some debacles, like falsely reporting that members of Elizabeth Smart's family were involved in a gay sex ring after they paid $20K for the story and then having to print a retraction. They have also been successfully sued for libel, which makes it hard to trust them.

But they also have nailed down some stories that no one saw coming or that everyone was chasing. There was John Edwards. And the one piece of nifty reporting for me was the Enquirer digging up a photo of OJ wearing a pair of Bruno Magli shoes when he denied owning pair, after the forensic witness identified the foot prints at the crime scene as coming from Bruno Maglis.

It's easy to just dismiss the Enquirer, because they pay their sources and they have had a blow up or two. But they have also scored pretty big on some stories -- whatever methods they use.

9. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Yeah, that jury that body-slammed a vicious racist and pretty much put him out of business? Imbeciles. ::)

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gore's reputation continues to take a beating...

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Oh yeah, that's a credible, unbiased journalistic group there.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah, I was going to say I guess the Enquirer is no longer the least-credible source listed in this thread.

Draft saved Draft deleted