1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Hulk movie?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Sigh.

You know what, Doc? This is so much bullcrap. "I'm sure he's sorry IF it offended anyone." How do you know? I'm sure Buck is an unmalicious guy . . . but most of us don't "accidentally" slip and post something that could be construed as racist, ever.

Gee . . .the usual police who accuse certain posters of racism at the drop of a hat are nowhere to be found on this one.

And you failed to answer the question: Had he said the same thing about imitating the speech of a black guy, what would have been the response? Is one form of hate speech OK? Why or why not?

dooley: That is fair enough, and has some truth to it. But if someone posted in ebonics, what would you say? Or a latino accent?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Maybe because it's a thread about the fucking Incredible Hulk? Run it up the flagpole, or switch on the Bat Light. I'm sure they'll show up sooner or later.

Buck is not Yawn, otherwise I might be more inclined to think something is amiss. I hadn't even noticed his comment until you pointed it out. And Buck isn't my "Internet buddy." I doubt I've said 10 words to him during my two years posting.

But I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and not make a mountain out of a molehill. You obviously disagree. It's a free country.

3. Piotr Rasputin

That's the problem, Doc . . . . puting more creedence in the messenger than the message.

Buck screwed up. And when I pointed it out, you defended him. It is indeed a free country.

But I am not shocked that A. you didn't notice his comment and B. there has been no answer to my question about the reaction if the same type of post had been made about people of another race. This site has proven multiple times in the past that only certain speech, by certain people, is worth calling attention to.

You say "mountain out of a molehill." I say, you can't pick and choose which questionable speech you challenge, just because of your feelings about the person posting it.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I didn't defend him. Why do I have to be offended by something that offends you? I didn't think it was particularly funny, but I don't find it to be the reprehensible racism you think it is.

And I really couldn't care less what shocks you. You're not a lawyer, so stop cross-examining me.

You're always pointing out my desire to argue with people. Follow your own advice. Let it go. Or send Buck a PM or something. He's not online right now, and I doubt he'll ever check in on this thread again unless asked.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Because it's funny.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Well that was set up on a tee.

7. Piotr Rasputin

It's not about individuals being offended . . it's about being honest about the fact that apparently, making fun of people of one race is acceptable, and making fun of others is not.

I asked what would be the reaction if the same thing was said about a black guy. And I got double-speak, and crickets. But zero honesty.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

I find it funny because I find all racist humor funny.

Before you guys get Jesse Jackson after me, let me explain......

Ninety-five percent of racist humor is based on unrealistic and uninformed stereotypes, often becuase people are attempting to put others in categories based on the limited interactions they've had with said race.

When people say dumb things like "Oh, look, he's Chinese so he must not be able to say "r"", I chuckle because that is hardly true of all chinese people and just making the joke is admitting you know little to nothing about the culture.

That's why I wish Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would piss off and find something better to do with their time.

These idiots making stupid jokes are doing so because they're idiots who like making stupid jokes. It's not the end of the world people. Laugh if you find it funny, if you don't, then don't. But don't preach about tolerance and equality if you're going to fly off the handle everytime someone laughs at something you don't believe is funny.

Oh, and to respond to the latest post, if it were said about a black guy, I'd laugh. If it were said about a white guy, I'd laugh. And I don't feel bad about it and i don't give a crap if hate me for it. :)

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

*Sigh*

Fine. You win. If Buck posted something in ebonics about a black guy, I'd probably be pissed. Happy?

10. Piotr Rasputin

See, that's the thing . . . . I didn't "fly off the handle." I didn't call people names, and I certainly didn't get all huffy and ask about reading comprehension and such.

But the fact is, racial stereotypes aren't funny to me, not on a site that represents MY profession.

I understand wanting to think these things are funny because they show how dumb someone can be, and I can see why you would have that point of view. But my point, from the start, was that certain racial humor seems to be accepted here (and frankly, in our society and among certain company), while other brands of such "humor" bring out the screams. To me, it should be consistent, and preferably never be OK, regardless of what race you're talking about.

And, in case anyone's wondering, I'm not happy with the idea that posters on this site admit that they only mind certain types of racist speech. You did ask, Doc.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You're right. I did ask. And in typical fashion, you couldn't resist another GOTCHA! post. Damn, that cut me to the core. I must be a racist. Must be nice up there on that shiny pedestal of yours. Have a good night.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, I never thought the world would be saved by a Hulk message-board thread. Thanks, Piotr, everyone will change now!

Draft saved Draft deleted