1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another head-scratcher

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by newinthefield, Apr 19, 2011.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I have no idea why he thinks it's OK to miss a game to say goodbye to someone at a funeral. The person is DEAD. They will not hear you say goodbye. There will be just as much opportunity to go to their gravesite and say goodbye afterwards. They still won't be able to hear you, but it will be much more personal.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

To me, I'm afraid Richie Whitt can't win here.

He's either simply an asshole -- most might have two or three kids in their lives (many of us stop at two), and being there is a no-brainer if at all possible. What if he's giving up seven hits in 5 2/3, and there are complications?

It's also April. As noted, if he had a sore back, nobody would say a word.

If Richie's kidding, he does a crappy job of it.

So he's wrong either way, which is a nice black-and-white kind of deal.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

^

If it was sarcasm, it flew over my head at 35,000 feet.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Richie is a hack as proved by this post. I don't care if he's "great", as the post proved he's a loser.

I don't care if it's Game 7 of the World Series, a father need to be there when child is born, unless it's a member of the military deployed overseas.

5. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

yes, whitt simply is an asshole

6. Agreed. Richie the Twit.

7. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Wonder what this bozo would have said about Derek Fisher missing the clinching game when the Spurs beat his Nuggets in the '07 Western Conference Finals? He was in New York with his daughter, who was about to lose an eye to a rare form of cancer. Made it back for the second hafl of that game, but c'mon ... I mean, she had ANOTHER eye, right (#sarcasm)

8. I don't know about that. I think that's a matter of personal choice there if it's for a title, because either way, the chance might never come again. I wouldn't criticize a guy for playing in Game 7. I wouldn't criticize him for skipping it to be with his wife. It's up to him.

Now, an April game? Absolutely skip your start.

9. Gomer

Gomer Active Member

Everybody's different, the point is that criticizing a choice like this is pretty heartless.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

There's not a single thing in this world that would've made me miss the birth of my children. Anyone who chooses not to be there is a piece of shit.

"Don't have kids of my own..."

Obviously.

11. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Even if you don't have kids, you're familiar with human emotion, right? Maybe you know someone who has kids and see there's this weird bond between parent and child? There's being childless, and then there's being mindless.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I went to work when my kids were born because they would have wanted me to.

Draft saved Draft deleted