1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another guy who thinks his site will be bigger than ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 29, 2010.

1. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Yeah you're going to open up a serious can of worms around here if you bring up coachesaid. Gone national? Yeeeeeeahhh.

2. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

They paid me very well, especially when I was up in Colorado covering games.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Paging Rockbottom...

4. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yup. I can see how a lot of entrepreneurial types would think they can pull this off, but it's virtually impossible. You can have plenty of great features and recruiting scoops, but good luck getting the pure nuts and bolts (skeds/results) from every single school.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

The fact that this guy has a lot of back and forth going on here is a sign that maybe he's on to at least something, if not the scale of espn.com.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Hell, I've got enough troubles getting them from all the high schools in our region, and there's only eight! I'm convinced there are schools that just don't want to be covered ... unless they start winning, of course.

(And the CoachesAid thread is a must-read if you need to induce vomiting ... sympathies to those taken in)

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think a lot of us could agree that the concept has great potential. Then we all think back to the local coaches we visited, begging them to call in his box scores, then getting completely screwed two weeks into the season when they gave up on calling.

Or they'd delegate the job to the end-of-bench assistant who couldn't spell or add or tell you anything about the opposing team.

9. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

I had a nightmare about CoachesAid.com last night. Woke up, thought about it, and realized about 99 percent of it was true.

rb

10. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

So what happened with so many people and CA? Maybe it's because I had been at least a member of its Oklahoma site since the get-go, but for any magazine or online work I was paid on time and was compensated very well for a freelancer.

11. golfnut8924

golfnut8924 Guest

Read the thread about coachesaid at the link below. That will answer any questions about those clowns. Needless to say, they aren't too popular around here.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/69988/

12. nmsports

nmsports Member

In a nutshell, CA went national, hired a number of pros to run the sites (lying about their financial support), brought everybody into Okla. for a three-day training session and 10 weeks later fired nearly everybody because the advertising revenue didn't meet expectations. I'm still trying to financially recover from the debacle.

Draft saved Draft deleted