1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another guy who thinks his site will be bigger than ESPN.com

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stitch, Dec 29, 2010.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

New Louisville arena chair (edit) thinks iHigh.com is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Over/under on when the website shuts down?

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20101228/FEATURES/312280015

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Someone is going to be the leader in that market.

iHigh seems like it's got the right idea. A little too busy for my taste, though.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

His arena is named the fucking KFC Yum! Center. Cannot take him seriously.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the guy who told me kickboxing was the sport of the future. I guess he was half-right if you give him credit for MMA.

5. Screwball

Screwball Active Member

If the site is limited to high school sports, how can it possibly be as big as espn.com?

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, it's pretty dumb to even comment on, but "based on the way we're growing, we'll be as large as ESPN.com in 18 months" is of course the ridiculous notion.

That assumes a new site that attracts a decent number of new readers/users is going to continue that same growth rate unimpeded for 18 months, which is simply silly. It will grow until it has all the people interested in high school sports that it's going to get, and then it will stop growing millions and millions short of ESPN, or any of the other main sports websites for that matter. That's like me starting a site and going from two to four to eight users in a week and saying, "Hey, if it keeps doubling, more people will be using my site than Google in six weeks."

Nice of him to dream big, but that's all it is.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Even in high schools, there's Maxpreps as well as ESPNRise, plus dozens of localized boards. It's nice to dream big, but good luck.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

The guy isn't the arena manager, he's chair of the arena authority and the guy who got the place built. He's also the Host behind Host Communications, so he hasn't fallen off the information turnip truck. No wonder that one of the strongest assets of the site is it giving streaming video and audio from high school games across the country. Maybe two people tune in to West Noble (Indiana) on Friday night, but there are a lot of schools, and those numbers can add up.

Maybe "bigger than ESPN" is a stretch -- OK, it is a stretch -- but no high school site has established itself as a go-to for everything. If Host can do that, then he might be on to something.

9. Boozeman

Boozeman Member

Pretty much all the schools in our area use MaxPreps to update rosters/schedules/stats/results. Hard to imagine another site coming and overthrowing it at this point.

10. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

cusack?

11. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

iHigh has been around for at least 10 years, so it's not anything new. And it's never caught on the way Maxpreps has or even Gannett's highschoolsports.net. There's a new one out there called C2Cschools that some states are using, too. So yeah, uphill battle here.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

That Schottey hasn't posted here yet is a mystery....

Draft saved Draft deleted