1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another gut punch...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Colton, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Colton

Colton Active Member

It was announced at my shop last night that in 3 weeks, we will be outsourcing our press runs.

And the hits just keep on coming -- 20 more good, hard-working people losing their jobs.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

That's a tough deal, Colton.

I think the lack of response is simply because people are so weary of these regular dispatches of bad news for the newspaper business.

3. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sad but true.

We had a staff meeting last week, and our ME tried to placate us about yet another reporter position not being filled with this:

"This past year (2011), our advertising revenue was half of what it was in 2009. Just about any other business would be closed with numbers like that."

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That's awful, Colton. And it's sad that when I saw the thread title on the twitter feed I knew exactly what board this was going to be on.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Just about any other business would be happy with 5-10 percent profit margin.

In newspapers, it's just another excuse to cut salary, furlough and/or lay off more people. And how many of the suits making these decisions are cutting or freezing their salaries in the process?

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ugh.

I never thought I'd be able to see myself out of newspapers. Now, I'm not sure I can ever see myself at another newspaper.

Hope all those folks getting laid off find jobs that actually pay them well and realize they are valuable assets to the company.

7. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that.

How will deadlines be affected? Will you be able to get in night scores?

9. Calvin Hobbes

Calvin Hobbes Member

This was my first stop in the business, as well as the local paper I grew up reading. Is it odd or overly sentimental that I'm thinking of stopping by to watch one final press run there before it's all over?

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yes, but odd and overly sentimental in a way only we can understand and embrace. I hope you do it, and maybe take the pressman out for a beverage or breakfast after. I have a few bucks to throw into the hat.

11. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes.

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I always said newspapers would be a great place to work if it weren't for publishers making things as unpleasant as they could possibly be.

Draft saved Draft deleted