1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another great read from Lane DeGregory of the St. Petersburg Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Mar 28, 2009.

1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

She follows a survivor of US Airways Flight 1549 as he continues to fly.

http://www.tampabay.com/features/humaninterest/article987899.ece

Another fantastic job of letting the story tell itself.

2. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that, FNF.

3. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Wow. That is a great story.

4. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

This exemplifies the KISS theory. She kept it simple and that made it great. That was a quick read that stays with you. Kudos.

5. Sneed

Sneed Guest

That was awesome.

6. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Great read, really powerful. Liked the mixture of the then and the now, worked very well.
    I wish I could write like that.

7. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

Me too.

8. Gravy Boat

Gravy Boat Member

Do you get the feeling after reading this that this is not a guy you'd want to be friends with -- either before or after the crash? I can't articulate why I feel that way myself, but I do.

9. DirtyDeeds

DirtyDeeds Guest

I didn't get that really. But I thought it was odd that he introduced himslef to eveyone as a survivor. But I thought maybe that was just a coping mechanism. Thought the quote from the wife about him calling more now was a bit strange, too.

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Question. What is...

Is it Psalms she's referencing there? Anyhow, it's a solid effort.

11. Sneed

Sneed Guest

Anyone know if she literally went on those flights with him, watched him, recorded everything he said, etc.? Or did she get all of that from interviews?

I'd guess the former, because of the detail she was able to put into those scenes. Is that the type of thing a paper or publication would pay for, taking those flights with the guy?

Probably dumb questions, I know, but I'm young and ignorant. Thanks for bearing with me.

12. Just reading between the lines here, but she absolutely was on those flights. I don't think she could have written it the way she did unless she was riding alongside him. I think she was the woman in the ending, the woman whose hand the man grasped. I'm sure her paper paid for the plane ticket. She probably flew right back down that day or, at the latest, the following day. I'd guess she probably coordinated with the man on his schedule, then asked if she could ride with him to New York. Even if it was an expensive plane ticket, which I doubt, it was worth it.

That was really a terrific story. The idea, execution, structure and writing were great. Very well done.

Draft saved Draft deleted