1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another good print guy heads online...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Omar_dont_scare, Jun 3, 2007.

1. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

I raised an eyebrow at this move, but wasn't shocked.

Chris is good friends with the UT radio guy in charge of volquest. They host a weekly radio show together, and have often teamed up on stories. Good rule of thumb on a beat these days: Buddy up to a fan site guy who rides the team plane to games. He also might throw a lot of coin at you one day, which was the case here.

Tough loss for the Tennessean and an ominous sign for the newspaper business in general.

And yes, FuerteJ has a pipeline

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

I don't know Chris, but that says a lot about a guy. I wish him the best.

3. Thanks, can't believe I couldn't remember his name.

4. There is no way in hell the Tennessean will not hire someone to cover UT full time.

5. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Rivals must be making a lot of hires. The site I compete with is hiring somebody, although they're paying peanuts and pretty much looking for someone entry level. If they paid competitively, I'd be interested.

6. I don't know any of the people involved.
    But "Chase Goodbread" is too good a name to be believed.

7. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Actually, I was being sarcastic about not hiring someone to cover UT and just moving someone over. But it is Gannett, so maybe I'm not joking.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Not sure about what happened last time they talked, but ijag's pipeline sounds like something that falls in line with a conversation with a Yahoo! higherup a couple months ago. Rivals would give Yahoo the college-level and, in some areas, even regional preps-level coverage a site will need to truly take a shot at the WWL.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

This really gives the online site Volquest the scoop on the Tennessee beat.

All football stories were broken by either/or Hubbs or Low it seems and all basketball stories were broken by either/or Hubbs and his basketball writer Rob Lewis or Low.

If I was a competitive media outlet on this beat; its appearing to be a daunting task to compete against this site.

10. FlipSide

FlipSide Member

Rob, is that you?

"All" stories? That's ridiculous and not true. Off the top of my head, I could name at least a dozen examples to the contrary in the past six months, including big ones like Robert Meachem turning pro (Knoxville), Demetrice Morley flunking out (Chattanooga) and Pearl's first contact from Iowa (AP).

Don't get me wrong. Low is a hell of a reporter. Just sayin' ... no one is unbeatable.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Crop circles are Chris Low's way of telling Ryan Sonner and Justin Blanchard to lie the fuck down.

12. The budget question also has to be raised. Volquest only sends one guy to road games that aren't Vandy and Kentucky--and that's cause Hubbs can fly with the team. Does Low's hire indicate that there's now more travel money?

By the way the AP writer who covers the Vols is headed to a PR gig so all kindsa changes down Rocky Top way.

Draft saved Draft deleted