1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another good one to Yahoo

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From the Moddy pipeline:

Adrian Wojnarowski leaving The Record in two weeks for Yahoo.com

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

'Mommy, what's a newspaper?'

'Oh, gosh, well, it was paper and it came to the door in the morning, and OH! Grandma saved one for you in that big trunk, with the VHS tapes and the funny phone you plug into a wall and the empty bag of processed spinach! Go look!'

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Guess the side-work for the WWL is done then....

4. 85bears

85bears Member

What is most frustrating is that newspapers should be figuring out how to capitalize on the Web transition - the world will always need journalists.

Instead, we have people actually fighting - it's unbelievable really - to preserve the "sanctity of the print product." While meanwhile people get laid off every day because of needless dollars poured into production costs.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Of course those needless production dollars put food on the tables of pressmen all over the country.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Great hire...

I just hope this isn't a repeat of what happened at Fox Sports a few years back when they lured several top writers away from top jobs only to lay them off two years later...

7. Bump_Wills

Bump_Wills Member

How incredibly naive. You say that as if the print product is somehow a drag on your ability to have meaningful work in the industry. Fact: If the paper version disappeared tomorrow, for most of us, there would quickly be *no* dollars to pour into those pesky production costs you so blithely dismiss.

8. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

If I'm wrong in five years, Mizzou, you can call me on it. But this is an entirely different environment now.

9. donnie23

donnie23 Member

Dammit. A great voice in the NY-NJ market gone to the national stage ... I'll miss the local perspective on a regular basis. Absolutely a great hire, though ...

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

This is an interesting point, Bears.
    But although I know there are backward folk out there, do you have any links to stories or something that suggest there really is a concerted effort toward "sanctity?"

11. Moland Spring

Moland Spring Member

Maybe I'm naive about this. I really might be.
    But isn't this the dream scenario for all of us? How many more top jobs have been created in the last two years because of the expansion of online sites like these? The Yahoos and CBSSportslines and AOLs are helping, not hurting.
    Right? With all the layoffs in newspapers, isn't online where these jobs can (or will) go?

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The more jobs created from these websites, the better off all of us are... I'm just a little gunshy because I had a lot of friends at CNN/SI and Fox Sports who were out of work a few years ago...

Draft saved Draft deleted