1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another "Get Out" Thread . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 2, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unless the situation has changed significantly, Coasties aren't well paid even for a military organization.

And for those of you pushing nursing, please remember that both the physical wear-and-tear and the mental stress in hospital nursing is much higher than most people realize. And that doctor's offices normally don't pay nearly as well as hospitals.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Hours in private practice are usually cushy, but because so many nurses want those set hours, cushy conditions and such, the pay usually lacks.

Hospitals are in a screaming need for nurses everywhere. Pay is pretty good, conditions are pretty decent at some facilities and the demand has gotten to the point where traveling nurses make nice coin and ones willing to work weekends (better known as being "Baylored). The hours can be kinda wacky, but unlike journalism, the pay, benefits and job security is difficult to beat.

3. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

As soon as I get my shit together enough to enter grad school without the debt killing me (I don't mind it hurting me, just not killing) I'm headed back for a library science masters. Better money, better job security and openings looming over the next ten years as the current crop of Baby Boomers shuffles off into the stacks of retirement.

I could never teach on the grade school or high school level. I respect the hell out of people who can, but I'm not one of those people.

Draft saved Draft deleted