1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another "Get Out" Thread . . .

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pete Incaviglia, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

. . . with a twist.

I'm still thinking (more seriously now) of going back to school. That said, I have no idea what to major in.

No one can predict the future, but what might a major/job demand be in, say, a decade from now?

Pretend you're 18 again and heading off to college, only you know everything you now know about this crumbling business (layoffs, uncertain future, floating ads, convergence et al) and you want nothing to do with this shaky, uncertain scene.

What, instead of journalism, would you major in and why? I have a two-year diploma, and have made my way to a decent gig based almost entirely on my experience and portfolio.

I'm thinking I should major in something I can spin into an "environmental" or "green" job or company but outside of that, I have no idea what might be "in demand" or provide "job security" in the long run.

I could go back and communications degree and get into PR, but I'm not sure I want that.

Again, if you were a high school grad with your life ahead of you, what, instead of journalism, would you major in and why?

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are into computers at all, seems like there are tons of IT jobs out there.

3. Pete Incaviglia

Yeah, I've thought of that. Just that I'm 32. So the whole internet, networking, etc. thing was taking off when I was already in college. I think I'm too far behind for computers/technology. I don't know how hard/easy it would be to be a) accepting into something like that b) to pass and graduate from something like that, given that I have no idea how a computer works or what a mother board is.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Plastics, then.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It would be easy for me to say I would major in computer science (the Internet boom happened right after I graduated from college) or a foreign language like Chinese, but in truth, I never really had a head for that sort of thing.

It would still probably have to be in the liberal arts, but I probably would have at least taken an html class and maybe minored in Spanish.

6. Pete Incaviglia

Haha. Awesome.

I seriously regret not working at the auto factory like my dad. I'd have 14 years experience, which is either job security (I have friends there who have yet to be laid off) or a decent sized severance package — and then I'd go back to school anyway.

*sigh*

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

My Dad banged on me and my siblings 15 years ago to study Japanese and/or Chinese. I wish I had taken him seriously.

8. silvercharm

silvercharm Member

For a lock as a secure profession, health care. Almost everyone wants to live as long as possible. They can live without computers and TV and cars, but not without a functioning ticker, liver and intestines.

9. captzulu

captzulu Member

If you've got the head for it -- pharmacy. Usually a 4-year program, and median starting pay in my state is $80-100K. There's also currently a shortage of pharmacists nationwide that's projected to get bigger in the next 20 years.

10. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Amazing that there's a pharmacist shortage, given the new CVS's and Walgreens that pop up on every other corner where I live.

11. captzulu

captzulu Member

That's what I thought too. But it's true. I guess those stores pop up all over for a reason.
    http://bhpr.hrsa.gov/healthworkforce/reports/pharmacist.htm

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Pharmacy isn't too bad. Two years of undergrad work for chemistry, biology, physics, and then four years of pharmacy school.

Draft saved Draft deleted