1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another Gamer from the Stands...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Mayfly, Aug 17, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

The Wilmington Blue Rocks managed only two hits against Lynchburg Hillcats starter Kyle Bloom. Turns out, they only needed one, as Wilmington shut out Lynchburg 3-0, at Frawley Stadium.

Brad McCann's second inning home run gave Blue Rocks starter Blake Johnson (7-6) all the run support he would need. McCann led off the second inning with his fifth long ball of the season. The monster opposite field home run cleared both levels of advertising in right-field.

Johnson pitched seven shutout innings, striking out six, while scattering four hits. He induced two inning ending double plays to escape jams in the fourth and fifth innings. While Johnson relied on his hammer curve, Bloom (9-10) brought his patience-eating change-up.

Wilmington could not manage any true offense off of Bloom, as he struck out a season-high 10 batters. The Blue Rocks managed to get two runners to third base with one out in back-to-back innings. Wilmington could not capitalize on the opportunities, as Bloom struck out the side each time.

Both pitchers traded zeros from the second inning until they were removed going into the eighth. Wilmington brought in Rayner Oliveros, who on his first pitch, allowed a double off the top of the left-field wall. Oliveros settled in afterwards, putting Lynchburg down in order.

The Hillcats sent out Matt Swanson to begin the bottom half, and the Lynchburg defense folded behind the right-hander. After Jeremy Cleveland grounded out to start the inning, Chris McConnell ripped a shot into the hole between second and third. Hillcats shortstop Angel Gonzalez misplayed the ground ball on the backhand. Wilmington center-fielder Jose Duarte then singled to left, and McConnell scored on Swanson's throwing error. Mark Maddox extended the lead to 3-0 with an RBI single.

Patrick Green closed out the game with a perfect ninth inning, his fourth save of the year.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Keep at it, MF, you'll get there. Thanks for posting.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Thanks for the constructive criticism jgmac. When I read it over, I noticed I forgot how they got the runners to third. I understand about your "meh" words. I wanted to try something different. Thanks.

4. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

You're a peach, Mayfly.

One of the hard things about sports writing is finding ways to say "scored" or "beat" or "threw" - and a hundred other things - without using the same words again and again and again. Look to avoid cliche or repetition, but without stretching the language too far. Better simple and forthright than overthought or overwrought.

Draft saved Draft deleted