1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Another form of media consumption about to die?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Nov 7, 2007.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I'm sure Huizenga will sell off all his properties, then come back and win the DVD rental biz all over again in a few years.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Netflix is good but I think RedBox is going to do even more damage. $1 a night and the vending machines are located in spots where it will save people a trip.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Beat me to it. Marlins fans, I'm sure, can't wait for Huizenga to die a slow, painful death.

I overheard the manager of my local bb talking to someone about this several weeks ago. Seems he had already been told the store would be closing inside something like two years. I've not had a chance to ask him about it again.

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Blockbuster seems like it might be able to go all on-line and sell a three-at-a-time membership for Netflix's two-at-a time.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I thought Wayne dumped all his holdings in Blockbuster when it got sold to Paramount or Viacom (can't remember who the actual purchasing firm was) years ago?

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

RedBox is great. If I rent any movie, I'll go to a McDonalds and check to see if they have it there. If not, I probably don't rent it because I hate Blockbuster and the Movie Gallery we have in my hometown sucks.

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

RedBox is at McDonalds??

I've seen what must be RedBox displays at supermarkets and stuff. But never a McDonalds.

Wild. Remember when it was a big deal to rent videos at the supermarket?

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I've never heard of, nor seen, a RedBox.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

http://www.redbox.com/

Available at almost every supermarket in my realm, including the 24-hour ones.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's in something called a SuperValu here, but I've never seen one of those stores. Apparently there are two within 20 miles, but they're in parts of towns I don't go to. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted